Idea for NCWW "event"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
To me, one of the coolest things about our org is the shop crawls. They are a great way to meet fellow members, experience new shops, and in general have a great day.

As part of my shop outfitting program, I'm going to need to secure a quantity of hand screw clamps. Although they are available commercially, it struck me that these are a device that would not be that difficult to make myself.

However, I also realized that with the production equipment that I have in the shop, they would not be that difficult of an item to produce in larger quantities.

Which then led me to think of a possible North Carolina Woodworker organized event, where a bunch of foks gathered at a members shop one day/weekend in order to mass produce some type of tool or accessory for everybody that participated. Using the hand screws as an example, one person could work on cutting blanks on the RAS, one person could be cutting the angles on the tablesaw, one person could be running the blanks through the WBS, another person could be drilling them, etc. In essence, we could keep several people busy all day, and end up with a slew of hand screws at the end of the day for everybody to take home.

For instance, in addition to the clamps Wood magazine has a nice template on making dead blow mallets. And I'm sure that we can think of other items as well.

What I'm wondering is if this concept would be a good North Carolina Woodworker sanctioned type of event, and if so to set a membership committee up to host in a different market 2 - 3 times a year.

M

McRabbet

That is a great idea, Scott! Good chance for fellow wwer's to get together and to use tools that probably don't have. Another idea would be a "toy building" marathon to make solid wood for needy kids -- I know TWA members do that (check with Bruce Wrenn).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
ok. I just created a new thread about making some handscrew clamps. Based upon the interest, we can evaluate if this would be a good launch to an ongoing program.

Now what would REALLY be cool.... if this concept takes off.... is to pick up one of these with the North Carolina Woodworker logo (4" x 1") on it for branding the tools...

http://www.brandingirons.com/electric.html

Not a cheap endeavor (the complete branding setup would be around $440.00), but something cool to think about.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow - 19 responses so far, and it's only been posted for a few hours.

I figured that only 5 or 6 folks would respond; probably all from Raleigh... boy was I wrong!

This may turn out to be a great new program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS