I sinned today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Instead of driving 1 1/2 hours to get some decent American made 1/2” furniture grade plywood, I purchased two sheets from Lowe’s Hardware. Lordy knows where it comes from. Even though it will only serve as seat bases to carry the upholstery, I still feel guilty putting this in anything I make.

Sigh

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7E262A81-D57D-439F-BB9D-8C22EF23F501.jpg
    7E262A81-D57D-439F-BB9D-8C22EF23F501.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 376

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Lowes has some of the worst plywood I've ever used. Did a project a couple of months ago with their 3/4" plywood because I didn't want to take the trip to The Hardwood Store. Part way through the project I got disgusted with it, stopped and went to Gibsonville. There may be formaldehyde or some other noxious chemical in the Lowes plywood in that when cutting it with the table saw it had a bad odor to it.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Willem, I forgive you as I really do understand. At times, the big box stuff is a necessary evil although much suckage ensues.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Should have gone to Home Depot. Their plywood is made by Columbia Forest Products in Old Fort NC. About the only plywood I buy from Lowes is the 1/4" under layment. Last birch I bought at Lowes was from Roseburg (American made) which delaminated after I had applied the first two coats of finish, and was breaking down sheets. They gave me my money back, plus the cost of finish materials, but nothing for time lost.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Desperate times require desperate measures..... At least that what I tell myself sometimes... We've all been there. :rolleyes:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I had some do that a few years ago Bruce. I never tried to take it back though. I will remember that

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I feel your pain, I live in a "Wood desert" good material is a least an hour to 2 hour drive depending on what I need. I'll admit, I've bought red oak from the blue store, pricey and quality was average at best, but I needed at the moment and wanted to finish the jobs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Willem, the consensus is probably forgiveness! It's better to ask for forgiveness than before the fact approval in most cases.

Willem thread title a few days ago "When time is an issue".

There may be formaldehyde or some other noxious chemical in the Lowes plywood in that when cutting it with the table saw it had a bad odor to it.

It's darn near impossible to find a plywood manufacturer that doesn't use urea-formaldehyde glue for general purpose plywood. There are a few other glues that are used for more specific applications.

http://www.usply.net/different-types-glues-used-make-plywood-sheets-wood-products/

Correction: Mea Culpa.

Columbia Forest Products uses a soy based glue which is essentially formaldehyde free. The video is pretty neat, logs to plywood in a flash!

https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/purebond-classic-core/

Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jim, Your comments made me realize something. That seemingly overpriced Borg red oak actually isn’t that expensive if you put it into perspective.

Around here at least, it’s: clear on both sides without any sap, check, shake, twist, bow, warp, dirt or serious dings. If you’re looking for nearby convenient, pristine clear flat sawn red oak, in standard dimensions, between the hours of 0700 - 2200 it’s probably a reasonably good deal.

You could offer it to me for free and I’d pass on it and choose (if available to me) rough stock from a Scott Smith specialty type vendor/sawyer. I have occasionally used it. Last year I bought some to get dry quarter/rift sawn drawer stock for a build. It took some work to process but it worked out great and I only drove a few miles to get it.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jeff, I meant hardwood boards. Around here, Borg ply always has: shakes, splits, warp, scuffs, formaldehyde, voids, dirt and delaminations.

I just assumed all that was part of their Borg plywood specifications.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Lowes and Home Depot is about all I have around here. I cuss everytime I need a piece of plywood for a jig. I usually buy the birch 2x4 pieces for around $16. A piece of baltic birch 30x60 will set me back about $60 and its not always flat.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lowes and Home Depot is about all I have around here. I cuss everytime I need a piece of plywood for a jig. I usually buy the birch 2x4 pieces for around $16. A piece of baltic birch 30x60 will set me back about $60 and its not always flat.
Eddie Lowes and Home Depot sell birch plywood. It is a far cry from Baltic Birch plywood.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Wow if that sort of thing is a sin then I'm just a low-down sinner who should remain in confession permanently. I've bought a lot of plywood from Lowes didn't know there were other alternatives. Cheap stuff is what they got and often what I need. Actually I've bought birch and baltic plywood at Klingspor and Woodcraft so there are alternatives.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Actually for seat pans to be upholstered these worked just fine, but for the life of me I don't know how they can be used for anything else?

The Birch veneer layer must be a couple of thousands thin and easing the edges one can put an 1/8" radius with 80 grit paper taking two swipes. It is Asian, as the veneer cores are Rubberwood, from spent latex trees.

attachment.php

Attachments

• chairs.jpg
    chairs.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS