I quit!!!!!!: Bed in need of a good home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I don't know if I am posting this in the right category if not I hope that one of the handy dandy admin people will put it where it needs to be.

A few years ago I inherited a bed that I liked, it has a lot of emotional baggage associated with it. I thought that I could repair it and porch for short term storage. And periodically I try to get myself to fix it and it just won't go. Well here we are seven years later and it is still on the back porch and it is time for the sucker to go. I am ready to let it go.

But what is a woodworker to do. It is too good of a bed to just be sent to the dump and not good enough shape to donate to the PTA thrift store. And I can't get myself to repair the silly thing.

Anyone want to come make it disappear from my back porch. It hurts to see it getting mistreated.

It is full sized and mahogany. The joints will need to be reglued. Parts or the whole darn thing will need to be refinished, and it will need a new side rail. (It didn't come in the moving van). Oh yeah it is missing one or two of the finials. The finials and the side rails can be gotten from the folks at the Craftique furniture company in Mebane, they still have the bed in production.

PB066303.JPG
PB066303.JPG

Jerome

Dragon

New User
David
Reading your headline, all sorts of things ran through the mind, like "is he quitting sleeping" so he can devote more time to woodworking? Wish I could help but I've got more "stuff" on hand now than I know what to do with.

striker

New User
Stephen
Years back my wife dragged home a spindle bed from a yard sale. After moving to/from every corner in the shop I had enough of it. I sawed it up and turned it into a bench. Now its her favorite piece of furniture. I'm just glad I don't have to contend with it any longer.

Maybe there's still hope for it.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Jerome,
From looking at the pics, it looks like the top rail is missing from the footboard. Is this correct?
Yes, I can take it off your hands, but the weather has got to improve before I can make it down from Mayberry.
Let me know.
Jim in Mayberry

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Craftique makes very nice funiture. Not sure what shape the bed is in, but they are pretty pricey from craftique. Their furniture is real solid mahogany.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
That is why I have had a hard time figuring out what to do with it. Too nice to toss, or discard.

Yeah I was inspired by one of their beds. And that is how I started making furniture. I really loved the thing. It was solid mahogany (800lbs!!! of mahogany) and they wanted a pretty penny for every ounce of it too. There was no way that I could afford their asking price , so I ended up making a copy of it. It was a wedding present to my wife, who is now my ex.

Jerome

Craftique makes very nice funiture. Not sure what shape the bed is in, but they are pretty pricey from craftique. Their furniture is real solid mahogany.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
So did you make this bed in the picture?

It's very Beautiful, but if it's been sitting there that long cut it up and make it into something else beautiful. Mahogany is beautiful and whatever this bed turns into will be beautiful~!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
That would be a beautiful bed

That looks likes a very nice project. If no one gets it off your porch, let me know, but I can't pick it up until this summer. I am a teacher overseas and return home for the summer to do woodworking.

guy.belleman@pac.dodea.edu

James Davis

New User
James Davis
That is why I have had a hard time figuring out what to do with it. Too nice to toss, or discard.

Yeah I was inspired by one of their beds. And that is how I started making furniture. I really loved the thing. It was solid mahogany (800lbs!!! of mahogany) and they wanted a pretty penny for every ounce of it too. There was no way that I could afford their asking price , so I ended up making a copy of it. It was a wedding present to my wife, who is now my ex.

Jerome

I hate to ask but I just gotta, Did she end up with the bed?:cool:

James

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Going going gone!

You are more than welcome to it. When the weather gets better come on down from them there hills.
Just give it a nice home. A couple of generation of kids went through this bed. I usually don't care for furniture plant built stuff, but JB and the folks at Craftique were building great furniture when they made this.

Jerome

Jerome,
From looking at the pics, it looks like the top rail is missing from the footboard. Is this correct?
Yes, I can take it off your hands, but the weather has got to improve before I can make it down from Mayberry.
Let me know.
Jim in Mayberry

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I'd have a coranary before I did that or at least pass out when I picked up the saw. I can't even get the courage to distress something before I put a finish on it.

Jerome

So did you make this bed in the picture?

It's very Beautiful, but if it's been sitting there that long cut it up and make it into something else beautiful. Mahogany is beautiful and whatever this bed turns into will be beautiful~!

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I hate to ask but I just gotta, Did she end up with the bed?:cool:

James

Here is a pic of the bed. Yup it's a big'un. It's huge. I later made a smaller version. It is still huge. One day I will get around to making smaller sized projects.

king_Size_Bed_copy.jpg

I kept the dog and the bed. I think that I got the better end of the deal.

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS