I need Pictures of shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I have looked on the net for some pictures of shelves, but the net is so polluted and I need inspiration. Please help personal pics or net pics. The Shelf top is going to be made of 1x12x6.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
To help clarify, are you looking for shop type shelves, knick-nack shelves, the type with standards and brackets, etc?
Are you looking for some with a crown moulding type trim underneath or just a plain flat shelf?
Also, if you're looking for pictures (in general), try going to google and click on the "images" link right above the search text box. It limits your search to pictures and shows a gallery of thumbnails of the results. I've found that to be very helpful when searching for pictures of things like absurdly large jointers or aircraft carriers :lol:

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Since I am using 1x12x6 for shelf top i think i will need a bracket for support. Three actually. I am using yellow pine and I have been told that it will warp if not supported. I think little knick knacks is all that will be on it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Definitely 3 brackets, store bought or cut some out yourself on the bandsaw. I would also recommend either buying another piece of pine and using it as edging for the shelf board in the vertical orientation or ripping about 2" off the original shelf board and flipping that to serve as edging. The edging will add a lot of strength to the shelf and add some visual weight to it.
My $.02, Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Michael,

Built a pair of shelves for my small collection of beer mugs :drunken_s about 15 years ago. They are 36" long and about 7.5" deep. I got the front rail and shelf brackets from Capital City Lumber, I believe. Profiled the front and side shelf edges with a Roman Ogee. (Built these long before I actually had any stationary tools in the "shop".)

Here are a couple of shots of the shelves. Very, very simple!

Just an idea for simplicity!

Wayne

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
This is a dual purpose shelf i built several years ago, It started life as a 2X6 framing lumber
Gary

DoorTopper.jpg

We currently have Velvet/Velour drapes hanging with out any problems, the span is about 8'

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
DaveO said:
Definitely 3 brackets, store bought or cut some out yourself on the bandsaw. I would also recommend either buying another piece of pine and using it as edging for the shelf board in the vertical orientation or ripping about 2" off the original shelf board and flipping that to serve as edging. The edging will add a lot of strength to the shelf and add some visual weight to it.
My $.02, Dave:)
Michael,

I think Dave has a good suggestion here. Having the vertical piece attached as either an edge or even underneith the shelf, will add not only strength to keep the shelf from sagging, but also help it resist warping. I would also suggest that the vertical piece be attached with glue (and maybe some biscuits).

A router could dress up the edges of each of the pieces.

Ray

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Thanks to everyone for the inspiration. Dave I might have read your post prior to building it. I made the shelf today. I have to always pick the hot days to feel ambious. I will take a few pics and put them on today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Next I will make a smaller shelf to hold my dvd player in b-room. THIS IS NOT TOOL GLOAT, BUT IT IS FURNITURE GLOAT. My mother recently got married (again) and she asked if I wanted her oak bedroom suite. It is nice, heavy but nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS