I need help, Workbench blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Well I have found out the workbench I was given the top is not flat. If you go to my album and look at the pics it is a maple laminated top. If you run your hand over it it feels like the ocean <waves>. The laminate sections were not leveled. How would you flatten this top for workbench use? I have a No. 5 jack plane I could use but honestly I don't have alot of experience with planes. Give me some ideas on how to flatten the top and how flat should it be. Thanks for the help.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
From the pictures the top dosent apper very thick, maybe its just the pictures:eusa_thin
Might try adding another layer to the top

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
MLB, if the top is not too wide, you could probably remove it and have a cabinet shop carefully run it through a wide-belt sander. of course, you do have that hand plane...

phillip

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Marty,

I have a freshly reconditioned Stanley #8 you're welcome to use. I'll be going up and back down I-85 between Concord and Burlington this Sunday. Should only take you 15 minutes max to flatten that out. PM me if you're interested.

Mark

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Steve I do have a brute of a belt sander, a big 4x24. How would I keep the surface flat? Keep checking with a straight edge?

Earl the top measures 1 3/4" thick. I should have enough material to get it fairly flat. The waves are maybe 1/8" to 1/16".

Phillip I like the idea of running it through a wide belt sander. I work near Clemmons Hardwoods, I might call them and see what they have and if they would do that for me. The top is 36" wide by 84" long. Do you think I could flatten it with a jack plane? I noticed you did the same for your bench.

Thanks guys

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
mlb, if you can get it sanded be sure the operator knows what you're after. flat and smooth with a minimum of material removal. you can flatten it with a jack plane, you'll just have to be a little more patient and work carefully, i used a number 7 on the double bench in my pics. good luck and let us know how its going.

phillip

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I don't know if you are near Michael Garner but he has a new beast I'm sure he'd love to play with (38" WBS).

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Phillip would I need to work in diagonals to start with a plane? Use pencil marks as a guide? (Something I saw in a magazine) Mark graciously offered to stop in on Sunday with a fresh #8 plane. That baby should be long enough to flatten an aircraft carrier. I might PM Mark and see if we can work that out. What do you think? I think that will leave a better finish than trying to haul it to a wide belt sander. Also who knows what grit they will have running that day.

Thanks for all the help guys.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I would save myself a LOT of time and find a cabinet shop with a wide belt sander and have them run it through a couple time. It might cost you $30 bucks for their time, but it will be money well spent.

My two cents ..

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
there was a website that had a guy flattening his bench top with a router and a jig,, it was sweet,,your more than welcome to come and use my 38in wide belt sander if you can get it here.

Last edited:

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Michael that might work. My only concern would be tearout. I suppose if you take it slow that wouldn't be a problem. I wonder who carries a router bit like that? Thanks for the link.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
MLB3164 said:
Michael that might work. My only concern would be tearout. I suppose if you take it slow that wouldn't be a problem. I wonder who carries a router bit like that? Thanks for the link.
That's toolferone's website. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'll join in the discussion

woodguy1975

New User
John
MLB3164 said:
Well I have found out the workbench I was given the top is not flat. If you go to my album and look at the pics it is a maple laminated top. If you run your hand over it it feels like the ocean <waves>. The laminate sections were not leveled. How would you flatten this top for workbench use? I have a No. 5 jack plane I could use but honestly I don't have alot of experience with planes. Give me some ideas on how to flatten the top and how flat should it be. Thanks for the help.

Marty,

Work on the base and bring the top with you when you come for the cabinetmaking class on the 29th. We'll run it through my drum sander. :)

John

MLB3164

New User
Marty
John thanks a million.....I will work on my trestle base. I will hall it with me for the cabinet class.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and links. Good to have sites like this with great people looking out for you.

Marty

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
Not sure how long your bench top is, but just running it through a big sander may not get it flat if its long. It will get it smooth, but say if the bench is cupped from end to end, that is the ends are higher or lower than the middle, then you will end up with a smooth cupped top. Thats why they make jointers, if a sander flattened everything we wouldnt need a jointer.

I long straightedge and Plane, #6-#8 will get it flat better than a sander, then you can use the sander to smooth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors