I made this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
But by the time I used it, it was a little worse for the wear....

attachment.php

The 'wear' was from making....

attachment.php

Now to drill all of those holes in those washers.

I figure >$50 invested for what would have cost $250 in faceplates.

And, thanks to Charlie for the inspiration.

Attachments

• Jig.jpg
    Jig.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 392
  • mounts.jpg
    mounts.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 388

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Are you going to weld all the way around the nuts or just rely on the spot welds at the corners of the nuts? I've got no opinion on that myself, just curious.

I've a bunch of those nuts and washers out in the shop earmarked for the same thing whenever I can get a round tuit.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The spot welds should be adequate. I may seal the gaps for vacuum chucking, however.

Need to borrow the jig? For 1-1/4 nuts.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
1-1/4 is fairly unusual - most MIDI lathes are 1" and my PM full size is 1-1/8". But maybe I live a sheltered life.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, I feel stupid. What am I looking at?

Homemade faceplates for attaching work to the lathe drive. The first pic is a post to keep the nut and washer centered while being tack welded

Last edited:

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Ah, gotcha! I don't do hardly any faceplate work, so I didn't recognize the jig or finished product for what they were.
Aren't those finished faceplates really small? Or is there another plate that gets added to the washer side later? I'm having a hard time envisioning how the work is mounted....

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Holes will be drilled into the washer to hold onto the wood. These nuts screw onto the lathe head, and have inside dia of 1-1/4", per the 3rd post.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Oh, okay, so these are just really small faceplates. Right on!
I'll keep this in mind in case I run across a need for something like it in the future.
Looks like a very cost-effective method, like Dee2 mentioned previously.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually, these are usually sandwiched into an MDF assembly where the nut and washer are let into a piece of predetermined size to which another piece is glued over the face.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
FWIW, the NCFS Turners meet this Saturday, 6/2. Rather than a demo, we plan to have a build your own threaded wooden face plate(s) session. A couple of us have some thread taps for a couple of spindle sizes. Bring a piece of hardwood, gouges, etc., and the NCFS will allow us the use of some lathes.

We'll start at 10:00 am with a business meeting and should be on the lathes by 10:30 AM. We'll walk over to Bum's for lunch.

If I get real fortunate this week, I'll drill holes in some washers and have them for show and tell.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
1-1/4 is fairly unusual - most MIDI lathes are 1" and my PM full size is 1-1/8". But maybe I live a sheltered life.

Check this out: http://content.powermatic.com/whitepapers/1352001_whitepaper.pdf

"The Powermatic 3520B Lathe features a spindle locking mechanism in the form of a springloadedbutton on the front of theheadstock that engages one of twolocking detents (180-degrees apart)for installing and removingaccessories that screw onto the 1 ¼”by 8 spindle threads."

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I stand corrected. Not sure where I got confused about the thread size on the PM 3520B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors