I love it when a tool sings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hey friends does anyone have that tool (or tools) in your shop that has been with you for a while but you just cant make music together. My grizzly band saw that I have had for-E-ver was that tool with me. It was the very first tool that I purchased a long time ago, but I just couldn't get it to do what it was capable off. Well this last week the tension nut on it was cross threaded so I purchased another one from Grizzly. I was just unhappy to say the least. But when the new parts came in and I threw a new lenox blade on it, spent my time adjusting the table and guides it performed like never before(even thought its not a 24in Meber). I guess sometimes the machine has to wait for us to make it do what its capable of. So if you have that one tool that you have and fight from time to time don't give up on it. Just go slow and understand it and then it will make woodworking music too.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
shooot no!! get the new tool if you can. I would drop mine in a second if I could get a bigger one, its just that I have figured out how to use the tool a little better. You getting a Hawk?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I got to hear Michael on the phone, talking about how much he loved his new (-ly functional) bandsaw. only the day before, we had both been salivating over the 18" machines in Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Raleigh. (sorry, Tom, we didn't have time to get to that side of town)

of course, he was quick to point out that his newfound love will likely not prevent him from buying a 19" grizz we have both been staring at online....

cskipper

Cathy
I'm leaning toward a Hegner. There is a woodworking show in Atlanta in Jan and hope to be able to see all the "big dogs" (hey, in my world they are big dogs) up close and personal. I hope to get a good "show deal" and get one then.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Michael, maybe you can come over and, ahem, "direct" my bandsaw for me. It can't seem to carry a tune for me....if you know what I mean....

:lol: :eusa_clap :lol:

Tom

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Michael, maybe you can come over and, ahem, "direct" my bandsaw for me. It can't seem to carry a tune for me....if you know what I mean....

:lol: :eusa_clap :lol:

Tom

Tom,
I am positive that there are MANY more people more qualified than I am. But I would come over to your place at the drop of a hat and help with your band saw. What model do you have?
This is what I have done to help mine along.

*New Urethane Tires (price ranges from 15-40 dollars)
*Band saw fence (Purchased it for 30 dollars, mine is like the new Kreg one)
*Quick crank release (grizzly for less than 10 dollars)
*and a couple quality 1/2 3TPI blades, these make the the world of difference. (I purchased a couple Lenox blades from Grizzly, they were only 12.00 and they work great so far)

I have also for the past couple weeks read just about every article (most Fine Woodworking) about this subject. If you would like I can send you some articles that can put you on the right path. I still have the stock blade guides on and just use a dollar for setting the guides. Ohh ya I also spent about and hour making sure the wheels were coplanar too, I had to fabricate a small washer out of thin metal to bring my top wheel out so that it was in line with the lower one. and the last thing I did is dress the wheels, (sanded them down) I was a little intimidated in doing this because I thought I would ruin the wheels, but I read an article in FWW and followed it to a T. I put the new tire on the lower wheel to true it, and then put it on the upper wheel, installed the lower wheel and trued it, then installed a small blade and finished truing the upper wheel with the machine on (this part you had to be very carefully because the upper Assembly was open)

I know it sounds like a lot but all in all it tool me about three hours and my little 14in band saw performs like never before. And just as NCPete has stated, even tough it is running fine now, it wont stop me from getting a bigger one when the opportunity presents itself, its just that I have more options now in the creative process because I know how my band saw performs and am comfortable with it.

Tom, maybe we could link up sometime and I could come over and show you what I did and see if we can get yours running to your expectations. Be blessed friend.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Tom,
I saw in your pictures that you have/still have the G0555 Ultimate, that is a slick saw bro. I am sure with just a little tuning that it would sing for you. And the fence looks like its a good one. Does it adjust for blade drift? I am sure that all you would need would be a resaw attachement that would mount to your fence. Like the 7in resaw guide here for 20.00 Kreg Bandsaw Fence You could mount a subfence that would allow the attachement to slide along the fence you have and you wouldnt have to worry about drift.

Do you have Urethane wheels on it? That is the new and improved model of the one that I have. Let me know if I can help. Maybe Pete and I can run up to your place and help you out friend.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Michael, thanks tons for your offers!!! You're going above and beyond the call my friend. :lol:

Yes I have the G0555. I really like it, and I've tuned it three times, but it still needs some work. I haven't replaced the tires, but I'm using Suffolk blades. I just don't feel comfortable with the adjustments to the guides that came with it, and I'm looking to replace them. I also wonder about the tension setting on the blades. Also, most recently it's making a noise that's tied to the revolution of the blade I think. It scrapes, then goes around and scrapes and then around..etc. I just haven't had time to look for that and I haven't been using it much either. I just started a new job last week, so I'll be out of the shop now for a bit I'm sure. I'll keep you in mind for questions when I get back to having some time to work on it. I enjoy doing the tune-ups like that. I learn more about the tool when doing them.
Thanks again for your offers.
Tom

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
hey tom,
If you wish to purchase the parts a bit at a time like I do, and then when you have everyting and you have time let me know and we will spend a couple hours on your machine. I am finally glad that I can cut vaneer with my bandsaw now. God bless friend.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Also, most recently it's making a noise that's tied to the revolution of the blade I think. It scrapes, then goes around and scrapes and then around..etc. .
Tom

Tom, I have the same saw, and it performs well for me. As to the noise you are hearing check the plastic guard that is near the switch. I found mine to be rubbing a bit, and tweaked it so it wouldn't. I don't think too highly of the tension spring that is original, I plan to replace mine with a Carter spring as soon as I have the extra $ for it.

Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Opps I forgot to say that I did replace mine as well. I think it came from lee valley or something other place. It does help tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS