HVLP Score ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have the wagner FIne Spray too. Have you ever sprayed Latex with it?
If so what procedures did you use?

Oh, no. I don't think the nozzle would be the right size (but I could be wrong). To spray the Latex, I purchased a Vasper gun from Northern Tool with a 2.3mm nozzle, then added water and Floetrol to make it spray. Came out really good!

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I got a Q4 Pro from Amazon with the 3 cup mini set and 6' whip hose. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait. Any of you guys have a spray booth? I saw one in Fine Woodworking that was a knock-down version which I may build for it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the same set, but no spray booth. The HVLP sprays well enough and with little enough mess I don't think a spray booth is necessary.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Like Travis, I'm hoping the overspray is minimal and won't need a spray booth. I bought an Earlex HVLP system at the Charlotte show after watching the demo and talking with the rep for 30 minutes or so. I know he sold several at the show.

I couldn't resist the $139 deal. Will let you know how it handles oil based stuff.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
alright ... here's the proof!

IMG_7693.JPG

And here is the first project with it ... the infamous TV stands ...

Primed with a Shellac-based primer, then toped with regular latex paint thinned with water and Floetrol added. The real wood parts came out beautiful, but the MDF top and shelf are only so-so. MDF is a paint to paint (someone offer tips!)

IMG_7702.JPG

MikeH

New User
Mike
alright ... here's the proof!

IMG_7693.JPG

And here is the first project with it ... the infamous TV stands ...

Primed with a Shellac-based primer, then toped with regular latex paint thinned with water and Floetrol added. The real wood parts came out beautiful, but the MDF top and shelf are only so-so. MDF is a paint to paint (someone offer tips!)

IMG_7702.JPG

If you're painting MDF it is best to use a sealer first. Otherwise the MDF just soaks up the paint and you get a very uneven finish. You can even use thinned elmers glue as a sealer.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you're painting MDF it is best to use a sealer first. Otherwise the MDF just soaks up the paint and you get a very uneven finish. You can even use thinned elmers glue as a sealer.

Thanks for the tip ... I put a primer on, but that didn't cut it. I'll use a sealer like you recommend next time around ...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What size/color needle did you use? How many coats?

I haven't done any paint yet, and looking at what you did I expect I will be very soon!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
What size/color needle did you use? How many coats?

I haven't done any paint yet, and looking at what you did I expect I will be very soon!

This was done with a #4 needle and included one (1) coat of shellac-based primer tinted for black paint (essentially gray) and three (3) coats of thinned latex paint from Home Depot.

If I do paint again -- which I'm sure I will -- I will go to a "real" paint store and probably get something of better quality designed for cabinetry. Something like that should be stronger, and will probably spray even better -- though I must admit, the finish on the real wood parts is excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS