HVLP - paint, clear finishes: best options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I spend a couple of hours researching HVLP systems, boy talk about a hot topic! I want to paint this cabinet I'm building, using latex paint. I can do the brush and roller thing, but it's tough to get that real smooth glassy finish that way. So I want a power tool to help me out :)

I've heard good things about the Earlex 5000, the Harbor Freight HVLP kit, and Wagner power painters. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of spraying, but it's a nice option to have. Would I be better of with two separate systems, one for paint and one for clear finishes (e.g. poly?) Most HVLP systems aren't really designed for latex paint, but with some thinning, flotrol, special needles etc. it appears you can get good results.

I'm also trying to figure out the true cost of a system. Besides the basic kit, I've read about people buying extra cups, needles, cleaning tools, hoses etc., but it's hard to figure out what's pretty much required and what's a luxury. Again, my needs are modest, I doubt I'd have a need to have a dedicated can for poly and a dedicated can for shellac.

Any advice on what system(s) would probably best meet my needs, and what accessories to get?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Bas
I went thru this myself this past fall.
I purchased a Wagner fine sprayer HVLP system from Lowe's only to find out that it would not spray Latex. I paid right at 99.00 for it.
But for clear finishes it works great. Oil based paints also spray great.

But I also wanted to use Latex for the ease of use and cleaning. Not to mention Latex also drys alot quicker.
So I ended up with a HVLP system from Harbor freight. Which required me to purchase a Porter Cable 2.5 needle in order to spray Latex. In all, again, I think I spent another 1oo.oo.
And I still am not sure if I got the one from Harbor freight adjusted right. There are total of 4 adjustments on the gun. The instructions are terrible.

So if there is one out there that you can do both with, and well, for under 200.00 I would go that route.
HTH.

MAC

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Mac, that helps a lot! I'll see if anyone has had success spraying latex with the Earlex, I saw a few encouraging reports. It's $270 for the base kit, which is more than the $200 you spent, but not that much more. I'm cheap, but also lazy, and if a good sprayer can save me some time, it's an easy choice :)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Bas,

I am making a few pieces with a glossy black finish. This rates (in my book) as one of the most difficult.

I am using Target Coatings waterborne products that are quite impressive. I purchased both the sealer (EM8800) and Poly (9000) from them. They tinted the sealer for my color and I am covering it with a clear poly. Very clear!

I also purchased an ASTURO HT1 gun. It is the most amassing thing I have seen in a long time. Made in Italy to tolerances that are exceptional. The fan adjustment and flow control allow you to make fine adjustments as needed.

I have been ably to lay down a top coat that is very smooth. I just wish I could do it consistently as my technique needs practice.

I purchased it from Highland. Is is a gravity feed that hooks to my compressor. I use about 25lbs . It takes 10 to 12 cfm.

Very easy to clean. It is not a knock off like I have purchased at Lowe's but a high precision piece.

BTW, I have been using ABRANET for smoothing between coats and will use ABRALON for polishing up to 4000. Then I will use some of the liquid compounds for final work.

I have tried many different combinations of product and guns. So far this is the best and easiest.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Asturo gun?!?!?!?!?! IMPRESSIVE!!!!

I have a PC PSH1 and a Fuji Q4. I haven't sprayed paint with the Fuji, but otherwise it is awesome. With most, you have to thin the paint and possibly use Floetrol, but it should work and is feasible. I tried to spray paint in the PSH1 and that was a total failure. I didn't use a bigger needle, and didn't thin the paint. I have not tried it since.

One point that I remember very well from Jmauldin, is to not spray paint in the same gun you spray clear finishes. Cleaning paint out of a gun can be a royal PITA.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Wagner conversion gun I got from Gleem paint. It's about $125. I spray mostly Resisthane both tinted and clear (I get that from Hood finishing or Highland Hardware). It has replaceable jets but I am using the original set that came with the gun. It works on my little Bostitch 1.5hp compressor. Most conversion guns need more air but once I got the Wagner adjusted right, it does well with the little compressor. I found it challenging to find the right setting but, once you do, it will spray a nice pattern. I have sprayed Minwax's water based poly with it and it worked but was harder to work with than Resisthane. You can get Resisthane in white and black but not other colors. It dries very quickly but can be brushed if you can work fast enough to avoid brush marks. It is also very tough, it's rated for kitchen cabinets. And it's cheap - about $30/gallon.

In the articles section at the Highland Hardware website (or is it the tips section?) there is a piece about spraying latex paint thinned with Resisthane. I have not tried it but the article indicates it works well.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Completely forgot I had even started this thread! Jim/ John/ Travis - thanks for the feedback.

My compressor is loud and obnoxious, and doesn't really have enough capacity for a conversion gun, which is why I was looking at HVLP. Although I'm impressed that the Wagner gun worked with a 1.5HP compressor. The alternative of course is to buy a bigger compressor, but a portable solution would be better since my shop is in the basement. Shellac wouldn't be terrible, but some finishes are better done outside/ in the garage.

In a short but sudden bout of WGD, I bought the Earlex 5000. That machine has some big fans, it's portable, and should handle just about any kind of finish. Let's hope operator skill requirements are minimal :)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Glad to hear you got a system that should work well for you. I still recommend Resisthane. You will like it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS