HunnyDo - Refinishing a Dining Room Table & Chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Been a while since I’ve posted, life’s been wild this year. Nearly every free breath was spent preparing to take a Scout group to Philmont Scout Ranch, out in New Mexico. Lot of hiking & backpacking required to get in shape for it. We hiked every weekend from January thru June.

Anyway, fast forward to August, had a Hunny-Do request to refinish our dining room table & chairs. They were our first antique furniture purchase when we got married, nearly 22 years ago.
got it at an antique store in Houston, TX and refinished it in our first apartment. Yes, we put plastic down over the carpet to strip & stain the table and chairs. Oh, the foolishness of youth…

3 kids later, and 125+ years old, it had gained quite a bit of ‘character’. The table’s finish had worn away. The chairs’ upholstery had faded, and seat bottoms had fallen through.

Had a hard time stripping the table, temperatures in the 90’s for 90 days in a row, the stripper would evaporate before doing anything… Got up early on weekends to strip it. That slowed the process down, quite a bit. But, slowly, surely, we got there. Missed the Thanksgiving deadline by 2 days. We moved the table into the Dining Room on Thanksgiving Saturday.

Dining Room Table – Before
IMG_1369-1.jpg

Dining Room Table Leg – Before
IMG_1370-1.jpg

Chair Seat Upholstery – Before
IMAGE_079.jpg

Chair Seat Upholstery – Deconstructed. Notice the luan chair bottoms – that’ll hold a lot of weight… When we recovered the chairs the first time, we cheated & just recovered them. This time we did it right, stripped the seat back to the frame & started over. Having never done this before, DIYnetwork.com came to the rescue with this article, that describes the process really well.
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-reupholster-a-seat-pad/index.html

IMAGE_080.jpg

Chair Seat Upholstery – After
IMAGE_081.jpg

Dining Room Table & Chairs – After
IMG_1693.jpg

Nice to have this one done, just in time for cold weather. Hopefully, we can make some sawdust this winter…

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Looking good. I like the new fabric pattern much more than the old. :gar-Bi I hope this gets many more years of use for your family.

T

toolferone

You dun good! Better you then me. I would rather build new then refinish anything.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice work, and kudos on the patience. Nothing like breathing life into some furniture that was made to last!

8-Ball

Excellent work... looks great...!!!

Care to share the products you used and process you followed to do the strip and refinish...?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Actually, I thought the "before" looked pretty good, but the "after" definitely looks great. :icon_thum

Bill

Greavous

New User
Chris
that turned out real nice. Im sure stripping those legs down with all the detail was a time vampire!

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Excellent work... looks great...!!!

Care to share the products you used and process you followed to do the strip and refinish...?

Table had a strong red tint before. My wife wanted to darken it up quite a bit, so it would have a richer tone.

Stripper used was Kleen-Strip, applied with steel wool - many / many coats.

Stain: Minwax Walnut, applied with steel wool - again many coats - probably 4-5.

Polyurethane: Minwax Satin. Once dry, 220 sandpaper on the top, steel wool elsewhere. Wanted to fill in as much grain as possible without creating a 'bartop' finish. 3 coats.

Chairs were the same products, but much, much less work. 2 coats of stain, followed by 2 coats of polyurethane. 220 sanding in between poly coats.

It look a lot longer than I expected. But, my wife's ecstatic with the results. That's what counts, huh?

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice job Marvin, :icon_thum apparently you still have the patience that saw you through the first refinishing 22 years ago. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS