Hummingbird houses???

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this for real?

I have never heard of hummingbird houses, has anyone else?
They seem like an interesting and easy lathe project...

Well, if you could sell them at ~$35, it seems possible...

So I guess it is something of a hoax?
Do hummingbirds use birdhouses?

Image result for hummingbird house plans

Unlike some other popular backyard birds, hummingbirds do not nest in birdhouses. ... You can maintain or plant native flowering plants, provide reliable water sources, and avoid chemicals that harm birds and other wildlife, including the insects hummingbirds prey upon.May 6, 2021

Some show this as an option... but it kind of gets away from the lathe idea...
1644937894273.png

Reactions: Oka

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
According to my resident hummingbird expert, hummingbirds would be more inclined to use the bottom one. They don't use birdhouses. Even if you built the bottom one, they'd be just as likely to use a nearby branch instead.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Turned Hummingbird houses is a cute thing for turners to make. They guy that turns the hats at the Extravaganza makes them.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
At my former residence I built a Florida Room with a Beech tree overhanging the glass roof. Hummingbirds built a nest and hatched out eggs there. I learned that they like to build over water and the reflection deceived the birds. I was able to get some photos on my 35mm of the bird on and off the nest, but they're in a shoe box somewhere now.........
We have a couple of feeders on the back porch and they are a feisty bunch, not willing to share at all. I've seen them fly from 40-50 yards away to chase off another bird from the feeder.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
The last time I checked, Jerry Measimer, Richfield, NC, woodturner and member of the Southern Piedmont Woodturners, Concord, NC, made hummingbird houses for Our State Magazine. He also turns hats out of logs and sells them out of his shop in Richfield.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
At my former residence I built a Florida Room with a Beech tree overhanging the glass roof. Hummingbirds built a nest and hatched out eggs there. I learned that they like to build over water and the reflection deceived the birds. I was able to get some photos on my 35mm of the bird on and off the nest, but they're in a shoe box somewhere now.........
We have a couple of feeders on the back porch and they are a feisty bunch, not willing to share at all. I've seen them fly from 40-50 yards away to chase off another bird from the feeder.

We have 2 hummingbird feeders and the little guys are downright mean to each other. Constantly chasing each other away from the feeder.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Along those lines and at the risk of hijacking Hanks thread- here’s a semi-scientific study of butterfly houses from Penn State.
Butterfly houses

“If you want to do something to help butterflies, build them a mud puddle.” Pretty much sums it up.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Along those lines and at the risk of hijacking Hanks thread- here’s a semi-scientific study of butterfly houses from Penn State.
Butterfly houses

“If you want to do something to help butterflies, build them a mud puddle.” Pretty much sums it up.

Hijack-accepted, but again, not a “simple” turning project!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have kept records since 2008 on when I see the first one at my feeders here in northern Wayne county. The dates have ranged from 03 Apr to 09 Apr. over the last 14 years. Not to say they may have been here earlier without me seeing them, but I do make sure I have the feeders out by 01 Apr. Usually starts with one male, with a female soon to follow. "My" flock usually tops out at eight or ten, and it really gets hairy during the last mating in August. They lose all fear of humans, and will buzz within inches of your head as they battle with each other. Its like the Battle of Midway out on my back deck.

Although the males are the most aggressive during the summer, it also gets interesting after the males leave in early Sept. I seem to pick up a few more females (some with babies, male and female) as they congregate before heading south around the first week of Oct. They put on a pretty good battle show also. I think it may be part of toughening up for the flight south.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS