Howdy Fom The Sunny South

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Hey, Ya'll. Guess I'm a bit of an alien here since I'm actually in SOUTH Carolina (but I am only about 25 miles from the border).

I've been toying with this woodworking addiction for nigh unto 35 years now. It's really got the best of me in the last 7 or 8 years. I've finally just given up on kicking the habit. My goal these days is to infect as many other unsuspecting souls as possible.

I do all sorts of woodwork, turning being my favorite time killer. I'm a member of the Carolina Mountain Woodturners in Asheville, the American Association of Woodturners, and the Greenville (SC) Woodworkers Guild.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and, perhaps, in some small way to contribute to the overall dissemination of woodworking knowledge on the site.

Thanks for letting a "Southerner" join in.;-)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Greetings foreigner! I used to live in Greer and work in Easley. I now work in Asheville and would love to learn more details of the Asheville turner's group. I'm not currently into turning but Woodguy is going to try and change that this Saturday.

Monty

New User
Monty
J. Fred Muggs said:
Thanks for letting a "Southerner" join in.;-)
Greetings from a recovering South Carolinian. Joining the NORTH Carolina woodworkers is an important first step... :icon_thum Seriously, I'm from the SOUTH myself. My LOML said she wanted to move "up north", so HERE WE ARE!!! :lol: Welcome aboard!

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Steve: CMW meets the third Saturday of each month at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm not sure of the mile marker, but it's just north of the intersection with hwy 70. Meetings start at 10:00 A.M. and last til about 4:00P.M. with a break for lunch. Nice refreshments are always available. We have a "world class" turner demonstrating each month. See the website http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/ for a list of who we've had and who's coming. This month's meeting will be the 17th with Myron Curtis from Virginia. Since we meet on National Park property, we have to keep the doors open to the public as a "demonstration". Therfore, anyone can come visit, see the entire demo without ever joining. If you do want "voting rights", the annual dues are $25.

Come check us out on the 17th.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, we accept all kinds from the Carolinas (if they're close enough to NC:lol: ) I look forward to your turning advice. I've done a bit and love it, lately I've been busy with flat work, but I will get back into turning again really soon. I've seen the work of many CMW members at the Klingspor ww'ing show in Hickory, and it is just beautiful. Please post some of your work as soon as you get a chance. See you around. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group. Although we live in Forest City, NC, we are in Anderson during the week. I am learning to turn and might possibly have contributed to the conversion of SteveD and his family (if I can turn, anyone can turn!). You'll find lots of nice folks here. I look forward to seeing your photos and posts.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome aboard Fred. We are glad to have you here even if you are from down south. Post some pics of your turnings and other projects so we can all get a chance to admire it.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site, glad you found us. I believe we have a few SC people that live close to the border. I think Steve mentioned something about issuing work visa to you guys. Anyway, welcome to the site, I look forward to hearing your input.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve D said:
Greetings foreigner! I used to live in Greer and work in Easley. I now work in Asheville and would love to learn more details of the Asheville turner's group. I'm not currently into turning but Woodguy is going to try and change that this Saturday.

He doesn't know what he is in for. :lol::lol::lol:

Welcome J. Fred Muggs. I'm on the west side too, but not as far as you and Steve.

John

sapwood

New User
Roger
Fred,

Welcome to another Carolinian :eusa_shhh

Green Cards are not required for passage between NC and SC. Border security is pretty lax. :mrgreen:

Look forward to seeing pixs of your work.

Sapwood

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Good to see you here, J Fred. You make 3 that I know of. I've been needing some support!
FYI, I've found the best route to sneak over the border is via US 178 through Rosman.
I'm sure you will be a big asset here as you are on other forums.
ken

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Look out!! The foreigners from across the border has found each other and are starting to get organized. A coup could be forming, guard your women and farm animals. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
DaveO said:
Look out!! The foreigners from across the border has found each other and are starting to get organized. A coup could be forming, guard your women and farm animals. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

"and your tools" :mrgreen:

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Thanks, Ken and Ken.

Looks like Dave might have figgered us out. Wish you hadn't let on which route we were planning to take. :sad1: We can reorganize, though. I know several more routes into the North. We'll catch 'em nappin':sleepy2: and take 'em by surprise:new_snipe . The way I see it, some of those woodworking tool merchants up there like getting our money enough that they'd hide us out for a while.

Seriously, Ken M., I been so dad gummed busy with work and the Greenville Woodworkers' Guild, I can't even get a pen turned for myself. One of these days, I'm gonna play hooky one Friday and do lunch with you guys like we talked about a year or so ago.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors