How to stop bandsaw from making odd noises

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
I'm very new to using the bandsaw so I wonder is it normal for a bandsaw when cutting wood to sound like a metal grinding? It only makes this sound when I cut wood, do I need to lubricate the wheels or anything of the sorts? If I do should I use mineral oil?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@AvocadoesTasteGood
Noises are hard to diagnose in words.
What bandsaw do you have?
What upgrades if any (carter guides, cool blocks etc.)

video would be helpful, but have a look at the thrust bearings (bearings in back of the blade, if they are frozen and the blade is wearing a groove in the upper or the lower, that could be the problem.

Also, if you have steel guide blocks or the throat plate is too close to the blade, that could be a problem.

I am going to guess the thrust bearing or guide blocks since it is when you are cutting wood... meaning you are putting pressure on the blade and possibly pushing it into one of these guide elements...

Hope that helps, at least something to look for..

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I'm going with Hanks first impression here and agreeing that you should look at the thrust bearings. From what I've seen those are a fully ignored item by casual BS users.

Might also help to pin down where on the BS the noise is actually emanating from. Pull the guards and covers on a known tracking saw and turn it on while standing at a safe angle/distance (also make sure what breaker it's on in case you need to hit that to kill it). You should be able to get a better idea where it's coming from.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sounds like guides.

If your saw has bearing guides and they are adjusted too close they make a lot of noise. If the saw has some hours on it, check the bearings. They do go bad.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Stumpy Nubs has a video on band saw noises.
Most OEM guide bearings are junk. A few bucks spent on NTK or Timken is well worth it.

AvocadoesTasteGood

New User
Ryan
@AvocadoesTasteGood
Noises are hard to diagnose in words.
What bandsaw do you have?
What upgrades if any (carter guides, cool blocks etc.)

video would be helpful, but have a look at the thrust bearings (bearings in back of the blade, if they are frozen and the blade is wearing a groove in the upper or the lower, that could be the problem.

Also, if you have steel guide blocks or the throat plate is too close to the blade, that could be a problem.

I am going to guess the thrust bearing or guide blocks since it is when you are cutting wood... meaning you are putting pressure on the blade and possibly pushing it into one of these guide elements...

Hope that helps, at least something to look for..
I don’t have any upgrades and I will make a video later today sorry

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Often ppl will replace the upper bearings but not the lower bearings. The upper and lower bearings that guide and hold the blade tracking should roll as free as new skateboard china bone bearings. If they do not, then, fix that. Then, look for other issues. As always, check the obvious 1st. The other thing is to make sure the blade is not hitting anything when turning.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Often ppl will replace the upper bearings but not the lower bearings. The upper and lower bearings that guide and hold the blade tracking should roll as free as new skateboard china bone bearings. If they do not, then, fix that. Then, look for other issues. As always, check the obvious 1st. The other thing is to make sure the blade is not hitting anything when turning.
Oka - Ryan said the saw is nearly new...
WAY different situation...
Something else is wrong...

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
It could well be that what you hear is perfectly normal for that model when cutting wood. Bandsaws aren't all made to cut quietly and a cheap band saw can be a real screamer.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sounds like guides.

If your saw has bearing guides and they are adjusted too close they make a lot of noise. If the saw has some hours on it, check the bearings. They do go bad.
Good to know 😉

Post a video. Could be normal.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
A BS can be frustrating even for an experienced user. Just because a bearing is new does not mean it can not be bad. Do not assume because it is new that it is put together correctly. A nut on a wheel might be loose, tolerance between parts my be set incorrectly, a blade may be bad. Think about what happens when you put pressure on the blade when you start to make a cut. The pressure is multiple directional. Open the doors and covers up, stand back a sage distance and just watch. The longer you watch the more places you will see where something just out a small amount could create noise. I use an old trick from working on car motors. carefully place the end of a screw driver on different points and place your ear on the handle. This may give you an idea where the noise is coming from.

I would suggest not to start buying after market "upgrades" before you are sure of what is going on.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Before running it with the covers open. try turning it by hand. open the top cover and spin the wheel with your finger. you may find the source of the sound or feel where in the rotation the pressure changes. That may tell you where to look for a problem.

Plus it’s safer than running with the covers open.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
There is a great reference book by John White, published by Taunton Press - Care and Repair of Shop Machines. If you are going to have the typical woodworking machines in your shop it’s well worth the investment. Includes a chapter on the bandsaw; troubleshooting, set up and tune up. Here’s a link to an on-line copy. Should be free to read for 30 days. Also check your local library, they may have it. That should help you with your present situation.
Care and Repair of Shop Machines

Now I just have to figure out who I lent my copy to. Or get a new one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors