Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have made this one. I like it.
MG_8054.JPG

View image in gallery
But I don't really like using a nail (or drill bit as I did it). I made another one and am contemplating grinding some sort of knife...

4yanks

New User
Willie
Here's mine. I used a brass screw with a small shoe that rests in the bottom of the hole to apply friction to the trammel without damaging it. The cutting edge is cut from an old handsaw. It presents a curved edge to the stock and is beveled on one side only. The shape of the blade causes it to behave like a wheel marking guage, which is what I was after.
cutting_guage_1.jpg

cutting_guage_2.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Hey that is wonderful! I am going to do something similar to your arrangement for my blade. I just don't have any good way to grind blades right now.

I like the brass front too. The one I made out of cherry is quite scratched on the face from use now. I have never worked with brass before but I hear WW tools are fine for this. Where did you buy the brass sheet?

Thanks!
Salem

4yanks

New User
Willie
Salem,

I bought the brass at Burney's Hardware in Aberdeen (a "real" old fashioned hardware store). I used a hack saw, files and drum sander to shape it.

Willie

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
Here's mine. I used a brass screw with a small shoe that rests in the bottom of the hole to apply friction to the trammel without damaging it. The cutting edge is cut from an old handsaw. It presents a curved edge to the stock and is beveled on one side only. The shape of the blade causes it to behave like a wheel marking guage, which is what I was after.
cutting_guage_1.jpg

cutting_guage_2.jpg

Thats a great looking gauge!:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS