How to make >45 degree cut?

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Trying to figure out a way to cut about a 60 degree angle along the length of a piece of wood that is 2.5” tall, 16” long, and 7” wide. Table saw only goes to 45 degrees and if I stand the piece up to run it through at 30 degrees the blade wouldn’t go all the way through the cut. Can this be done on a band saw? Any other methods I’m not thinking of?

One thought is I could set the table saw to 30* and stand it up, cut through with the blade raised to its max and then finish the cut with a hand saw. Only problem is I don’t have a hand saw and wouldn’t trust myself to cut straight with no hand tool experience.

This will be the base for a plaque I’m making similar to the picture below.

A3227DD7-8EBA-46D7-BBD2-85127ACAEB5F.jpeg

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hand plane should not take too long to do that

Echd

C
User
Can you set the blade to 30 degrees, move your fence to the opposite side, and feed it that way?

Not 100% visualizing your issue

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Hand plane should not take too long to do that
True. I do have a couple planes and I could give this a go tomorrow.
Can you set the blade to 30 degrees, move your fence to the opposite side, and feed it that way?

Not 100% visualizing your issue
It’s hard to explain without a picture (which of course I don’t have). If I moved the fence to the other side it would trap the piece of wood between the blade and the fence which could be dangerous. Also, still don’t think this would solve the issues of the blade not being tall enough.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
it can be done on a bandsaw, you can set a jig to hold the piece at the angle you desire

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
It can be done on a jointer. Several passes.
That thought crossed my mind too but figured it would take forever. I’ll probably try a combination of jointer and hand plane. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hand saw (rip tooth) with the piece clamped in a face vise. Mark the line down both front and back, and across the top (end grain). Clamp and (with saw tilted down) saw until you can no longer see where both cuts (front and top) are going. Flip the wood around and repeat, sawing down the back until the end of the saw away from you just begins to cut. Flip again and continue repeating. This way you are starting straight and following the line as you cut. It's a bit hard to describe in words, but it's the same process used to handsaw veneer, split a board, etc. I'd stay just proud of the line and then finish up with a hand plane.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sounds like you need a hand saw and a hand plane..............

Do you have a router? You can set up a jig to smooth off the cut.

If you do run it through vertically, this is a dangerous cut. Best to use a tall fence and clamp a runner that rides along the top edge of the fence.

Bill J

Bill
User
I've never tried this but my bandsaw table will tilt and you should be able to cut it with a fence at a 30 angle on the face.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Trying to figure out a way to cut about a 60 degree angle along the length of a piece of wood that is 2.5” tall, 16” long, and 7” wide. Table saw only goes to 45 degrees and if I stand the piece up to run it through at 30 degrees the blade wouldn’t go all the way through the cut. Can this be done on a band saw? Any other methods I’m not thinking of?

One thought is I could set the table saw to 30* and stand it up, cut through with the blade raised to its max and then finish the cut with a hand saw. Only problem is I don’t have a hand saw and wouldn’t trust myself to cut straight with no hand tool experience.

This will be the base for a plaque I’m making similar to the picture below.

View attachment 218560
If you have a 10" table saw, you will be just short of doing the cut at 30 degrees. 12" table saw fence right side of blade, blade tilted 30 degrees to left and the offcut will be 60 degrees. See the sketch below which is to scale based on the dimensions you gave,

If you have a bandsaw, even a small bandsaw, just tilt the table 30 degrees.

part1.jpg

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Figured it out. I cut a scrap to 30 degrees on the table saw and glued that to the jointer infeed table as a guide for the first several passes. Finished with a hand plane.

Attachments

• EEB974B7-8505-4E27-9689-D336985605BC.jpeg
    EEB974B7-8505-4E27-9689-D336985605BC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS