How long should my belt be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
I am just now getting my shop setup since I moved here last fall. I cannot seem to find the belt for my Delta 36-441 contractors saw. I stopped at Klingspors today and picked up a link belt. The kit is 48" but I realize now I don't know how long it should be. It looks to be about 41" but I don't really want to guess. I couldn't find anything on the Delta site or in my manual.

Thanks,
Bill

M

McRabbet

Unless someone else has the same saw and can give you a measurement, I suspect that the critical thing is to have the correct tension on the belt. I'd make for about 38-40" and then you'll have room for stretch or tension.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Rob,

I guess I'll go with 40" and see how that runs and if it is ok when I tilt it. It looks like I can always add links back in if I need to.

Thanks,
Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
This V-belt calculator should give you a fairly close estimate...

Thanks Rob !!! soon I will be building my air cleaner using a recycled furnace blower and motor and I planned on changing the mounting configuration of the motor to the blower and this calculator saves me a lot of trial and error in getting the right belt :gar-Bi

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Bill, my 1981 Rockwell /Delta contractor saw belt is part number 400-06-133-00001 It measurers 43.25" on the outside. It is the original belt.

striker

New User
Stephen
You guys are too smart and serious for me. I read the subject line and all I came up with was: long enough to keep yer draws up which for me is longer & longer & longer........

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Just keep adding or subtracting links until the motor always keeps tension when you completely raise and/or lower the blade. Then check for clearance as you fully tilt the blade.

Check it again after a couple of weeks as the belts sometimes stretch.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Bob,

Sorry, I missed your reply the first time. Mine is only 3 years old and 43" seems a little long. I'll let you know what I find when I get it mounted.

Bill

Bill, my 1981 Rockwell /Delta contractor saw belt is part number 400-06-133-00001 It measurers 43.25" on the outside. It is the original belt.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
You guys are too smart and serious for me. I read the subject line and all I came up with was: long enough to keep yer draws up which for me is longer & longer & longer........
That was the answer I came up with, but as webmaster, I thought it might be inappropiate to interrupt such a serious question with my and your answer. Good for you, I was a coward.:rotflm::rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That was the answer I came up with, but as webmaster, I thought it might be inappropiate to interrupt such a serious question with my and your answer.
Steve, you're the web master. You can do anything you want! What's the fun in having that exalted position if you can't say what everyone else is thinking....

If I were the web master, and there was no important announcement, the scrolling thingy at the top would say "This text is scrolling from right to left" or "Important news flash: Make sure you check ▄≡√°≡µ╫╫". The "Featured Photos" section would ALWAYS include Roger in his infamous tinfoil hat. Tom Hintz' ads would only be visible to me (and Tom of course, or he'd get suspicious) for the first 24 hours. Etc.
:rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
I was actually waiting for Bas to mention the trouser/belly, I was a cowered too, but I felt SURE he would, just goes to show you don't really know everything about a person, maybe he has a belly phobia??:rotflm:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
One of my contractor's saws uses a 41" belt, as best I could remember. Monday, I located a 43" belt that I had for some time. It was too long. I think you need to bring the motor mount back on the rails, almost to the outer end. I leave less than 1/4" of rod showing. Any more, and motor mount drags on rear of cabinet of saw. If I would get off my lazy butt, I could count the links for you.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Thanks Bruce. I had it down to 40 to 41" but was going to wait until I ran some tests to post the results back here.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
60 links in mine. I counted them this morning. Yours may vary a couple of links, depending on your pulley set. If you haven't, I suggest that you order a replacement set of turned steel pulleys from In-Line Industries. They are actually cheaper than buying local cast iron pulleys. I am ordering a set for my friend's saw this morning.

J

jeff...

Your Belt should be just long enough to hold your pants up above your hip and high enough to cover your underwear, no lower. This is so when you bend over your not showing your crack - remember crack kills!!!. It's length should just long enough to enable you to position the belt buckle centered with your zipper and the extra length neatly tucked into the belt hoop on the left hand side of the belt buckle. You don't want more than a couple of inches past the belt hoop. If it sticks out to far past the belt hoop, It's generally acceptable to fold the extra length back under the belt hoop. If you don't fold the extra length back under the belt hoop gravity will pull it down and it will look like you have an extra appendix hanging in front of you swinging in the breeze. The extra length seems to draw unnecessary attention to the crotch area...

IMHO - That's how long your belt should be.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS