How do I use a Dial indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
After a long absence, due to health issues, I am back with another newbie question!
I just purchased the HF dial indicator and magnetic mount, but really have no idea how to zero, mount, or use it. Does anyone have any instrucions on the use of such a beast? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Take care,
Randy

Monty

New User
Monty
Depends what you want to use it for. There are many uses for a magnetic base dial indicator like that. Take a look at Tom Hintz' page on table saw alignment -- watch the video down at the bottom to see some good ideas about how a dial gauge can be used. Your magnetic base will let you do the arbor runout test, and you can easily make a sled to ride in the miter gauge slot to mount your dial gauge on to test the fence, etc. You can make other jigs like this if you want to: link. You can also use it to test runout on your drill press or lathe, find high spots on your band saw tires, all sorts of uses...

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I guess I didn't state my question clearly. I really wanted to know how to zero it out and how to use the little "stops" on the dial. My zero is not at top dead center. Is there a way to get it there or doesn't it matter? I know these are probabaly dumb questions but I've never used one before.
Thanks for your help,
Randy

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You might want to get a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." It is less than $20. He shows some simple jigs that use dial indicator and rival $100+ jigs in functionallity. John is the shop manager for Fine Woodworking magazine. He knows his stuff!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the help guys:eusa_clap . I think I have what I need.
Take care,
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS