Horne Creek Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My family has been volunteering at Horne Creek for 5 or 6 years. Last year they were building a new visitors center so the park was closed much of the year.

Today they returned to the annual Corn Shucking event. I demonstrated turn of the century woodworking and talked to a lot of folks about farm life, wood working and even wrote the web site for a couple guys that were interested.

Just to prove it did happen and for your visual pleasure here are a few pics.

IMG_05791.JPG

I make spoons because the kids can understand it, they go fairly quick compared to other projects and they don't take a lot of wood. I usually give them away and it thrills the kids to get them.

IMG_05832.JPG

A few old tools for folks to look at.

IMG_0586.JPG

This guy had a team of oxen that were trained to drag logs out of the woods, he was pretty sharp with his team. When he spoke they paid attention!

IMG_05901.JPG

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My family has been volunteering at Horne Creek for 5 or 6 years. Last year they were building a new visitors center so the park was closed much of the year.

Today they returned to the annual Corn Shucking event. I demonstrated turn of the century woodworking and talked to a lot of folks about farm life, wood working and even wrote the web site for a couple guys that were interested.

Just to prove it did happen and for your visual pleasure here are a few pics.

IMG_05791.JPG

I make spoons because the kids can understand it, they go fairly quick compared to other projects and they don't take a lot of wood. I usually give them away and it thrills the kids to get them.

IMG_05832.JPG

A few old tools for folks to look at.

IMG_0586.JPG

This guy had a team of oxen that were trained to drag logs out of the woods, he was pretty sharp with his team. When he spoke they paid attention!

IMG_05901.JPG

That's a GREAT looking team of oxen! Two of them can outpull any two horses I've ever seen!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Way to go Mike! That's great that you did that and I'm sure you enjoyed it, plus I'm sure the kids, and adults too, enjoyed watching and learning. That's the first team of oxes I've seen in a while. We need to do more demonstrating the old ways to pass along to the younger generations. Some of these skills are becoming lost & dying arts. I'm amazed at how few basic skills the general population has. Do they have this very often?

Something else along that line that you would really like is Hart's Square in Catawba Co. It's a complete 1800's village with +60 log structures all decorated and equipped for the period or trade the building is used for. One Saturday last of October every year, they have skilled folks in the many various trades at each structure demonstrating how to do that particular trade. They have have a lot of different things from molasses making to gunsmithing. I went last year and loved it. Tickets are sold out for this year, they usually do. But it's something to plan for next year. Link attached:
http://www.catawba.k12.nc.us/schoolpages/claremont/Hart Square/index.htm

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I worked in Hickory I heard a lot about Dr. Hart and his fantastic farm. I would love to go there, but it seems like something comes up every year.

Horne Creek has the Corn Shucking every year except 2008 while they were building a new visitors center. Horne Creek is open most of the year and they will give you a tour and answer as much as they can, but not everyone working there has experience with all of the old crafts. So, we help out as often as we can.

Today my oldest daughter spun wool into yarn, my son gave guided tours of the old cemetery, my youngest talked about farm animals, my wife sold raffle tickets to benefit the farm and I did the wood work.

There was a blacksmith, some ladies making baskets, a chair caner, quilters, horse plowing, the ox team pulling logs, dyeing, cider making, a civil war re-enactment team, lots of food, bluegrass bands and several other areas I didn't get to see.

We enjoyed the day but it was a little chilly and we are all worn out.

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/horne/horne.htm

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great family enterprise. I am glad to see folks willing to carry on this the traditional ways.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I hope they know how fortunate they are to have the Davis Family involved. Looks so good to do. Next year maybe you can put it on our calendar?:thumbs_up

Barbara

Dragon

New User
David
Sounds like a fun event. I was in SC yesterday visiting family and while there I noticed a bunch of clearing and tree cutting going on in the Whitehorse Rd. area. Lots of LARGE old oaks lying around. You Greenville, SC area folks need to load up on this free wood while it's there. I would have taken advantage of it if I'd had the time and my chainsaw.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are many places like this in the Carolinas. They are all interesting & enjoyable to visit. All too often we like to hear about a place that's a day trip away, yet there are places almost in our own back yards that are just as interesting. My hometown of Mint Hill has a Country Doctor's Museum and I've yet to take the time to visit it. My loss. With the pressures we all face from the uncertainty of the near future, we should maybe all slow down a little & reflect on our past.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
There are many places like this in the Carolinas. They are all interesting & enjoyable to visit. All too often we like to hear about a place that's a day trip away, yet there are places almost in our own back yards that are just as interesting. My hometown of Mint Hill has a Country Doctor's Museum and I've yet to take the time to visit it. My loss. With the pressures we all face from the uncertainty of the near future, we should maybe all slow down a little & reflect on our past.

I totally agree Dennis:icon_thum.With all the cell phones,text messaging and all people are getting lost in them selves :help:.Everything HAS to be done yesterday:eusa_doh:.We can't even smell the Rose's anymore:gar-La;.Like Ozzie X said the old time way's are a lost art.

But thanks to the Davis Family some of it can live on:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.WAY TO GO MIKE!!!!

sawduster

New User
Robert
The family that plays together , stays together :icon_thum

great pics ...you look right at home making that spoon bro :mrgreen:

A lot of folks can learn from you and your family :notworthy:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good on ya, Mike! Time spent with the family, passing knowledge on to others, and helping a great place. :icon_thum

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Good job Davis family. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm glad that some of the "old ways" are still being preserved. I really like the old buildings. Seems we here in the USA tend to destroy so much of our history when we should be saving it for the next generation.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sure looks like a fun day was had by all!

This is really cool that your whole family participates in events such these. :cool:

We send at least one three day weekend a year seeing whats new up in Williamsburg and I can kill hours watching all of the various tradesman doing everything from the wheelwright, cooper, brick makers, blacksmiths, joinery and cabinet making folks, book binding..............

Lot to learned by folks who stop by and share some time you folks performing a lot of the long lost arts!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS