Homemade Vacuum Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I didn't realize the Holly had so much spalt until I turned it round. Fortunately, I've got a lot of it. I used the example Steve did on his for the chuck portion and a threaded lamp rod through head stock from the example on Woodturners Resource. As I've spend way too much money on turning stuff this month, I set this one up to run off my shop Vac. The plug that goes into the shop vac hose has a 1/4" bleeder hole to prevent deheading the vac. It's not pulling 25 grams of mercury, but it does a pretty good job. As money becomes available again (I don't feel so guilty spending so much), I will upgrade to a vacuum pump system.

Thanks for looking

P101003710.JPG

P1010036a.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Beautiful bowl. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'd be interested to know more about making your own vacuum chuck as I can't afford to buy a nice one and already own a Shop Vac. :eusa_thin

Grumpybear

Gary
User
I also appreciate the "bowl" but am very interested in how you made the vacuum set up. I have a Jet 1642, so, I think this would be workable for me.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Pretty neat!

I would be careful, however. While a shop vac will pull a vacuum, when you restrict it like that the motor is no getting much needed cooling air, so watch the temp and don't use it too long.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Pretty neat!

I would be careful, however. While a shop vac will pull a vacuum, when you restrict it like that the motor is no getting much needed cooling air, so watch the temp and don't use it too long.

Thanks Alan, I'll keep that in mind. I did drill a 1/4" bleeder hole to help with that but will watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS