Holy Growth Rings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oderus1671

New User
chris
Hey guys, I just cut a dead (or dying) mimosa out of my backyard and look at the size of these growth rings! I think it was a lil too close to the drainfield...
The slab you see is probably 8-9 inches around, maybe 10 or better. But the rings are close to an inch! Now hows that for a fast growin mimosa?!

Attachments

• mimosa growth rings.jpg
    mimosa growth rings.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 216
J

jeff...

Hey guys, I just cut a dead (or dying) mimosa out of my backyard and look at the size of these growth rings! I think it was a lil too close to the drainfield...
The slab you see is probably 8-9 inches around, maybe 10 or better. But the rings are close to an inch! Now hows that for a fast growin mimosa?!

I wonder what causes them to die all of a sudden? I planted one about 6 years ago it grew fast then last year die weird. They are quick growers thats for sure they live a short life too.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
They develop a vascular wilt disease similar to how we get plaque in our arteries. It has been particularly destructive on many Mimosa throughout the south, it usually ends up killing the tree to the ground and then it re-sprouts back with tons suckers. You'll see trees killed by this disease, while others near are unaffected. The fungal disease comes from the soil and is taken up through the roots, spreads rapidly in wet seasons, only to kill the tree when we have dry periods, can't move enough water.

More useless knowledge from Jim

dozer

Mike
I wouldn't mind trying to turn some of that wood to see how it looks. Might have to plant a couple of them in the back yard I'll have lumber in a few years :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wonder what causes them to die all of a sudden?

GOOD LUCK!!!!! There's another tree like the Tree of Heaven, that we could do without. It's only redeeming value is that it does have a pretty flower with a nice scent.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Dave - I really didn't know there were certain trees you dislike. I kinda liked my mimosa while it lasted, I had to trim the branches twice so I could walk under it but other than that it seemed like a nice tree, real pretty with the pink hairy things and smelled good to. One swipe with the chain saw when it died and that was all she wrote.

oderus1671

New User
chris
yeah, I will miss my mimosa as well. the hummingbirds love those pink fuzzy flower things too. I did manage to save a couple pieces of the trunk, plus a couple small slabs, so if anyone has any advice on how to dry them, Id be much obliged.:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff...I like all trees (except Tree of Heaven) but I have issues with the ones that are invasive or aggressive spreaders and have little redeeming value (timber, fuel, fruit, flower and foliage) and compete for space with trees that do. I would much rather see an Oak, Maple, Walnut etc. growing in place of any Mimosa, Pawlonia, Catalpa, or ToH. I look at those as weeds.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
I don't have the equipment or ability to post pictures.All the mimosa wood I've turned, has been disease free. You definitely need sharp tools to turn mimosa using a scraper got me in trouble. No, mimosa isn't my first wood of choice for turning. Would recommend trying some mimosa if you see it laying along side the road waiting for the trash man. Several years back got some from neighbor who cut his mimosa tree down due to hurricane damage. Got some mimosa at local park that cut one down.Have turned many coin banks, bells, and bird houses from mimosa, really satisfied with results.Used mimosa for two chrome plated cigar pens, and they came out fine. Cut the blanks diagonally across the grain. Just thought cutting straight or with grain wouldn't be impressive enough. Really impressed with the results. Would hesitate using diseased wood because you never know if it will just turn to dust while turning. Had that happen to me with some Carolina Laurel Cherry.

J

jeff...

yeah, I will miss my mimosa as well. the hummingbirds love those pink fuzzy flower things too. I did manage to save a couple pieces of the trunk, plus a couple small slabs, so if anyone has any advice on how to dry them, Id be much obliged.:icon_thum

Microwave works pretty well.

J

jeff...

Jeff...I like all trees (except Tree of Heaven) but I have issues with the ones that are invasive or aggressive spreaders and have little redeeming value (timber, fuel, fruit, flower and foliage) and compete for space with trees that do. I would much rather see an Oak, Maple, Walnut etc. growing in place of any Mimosa, Pawlonia, Catalpa, or ToH. I look at those as weeds.

Dave I appreciate your honesty. I can say, I personally think everything has a place in life, we just don't always understand the reasoning behind it all. What may be good for one may not be good for another. But it sure is interesting to understand what people think / dislike / like / etc... It's what makes us unique as individuals.

Now that being said I think I'll bring you some Tree of Heaven lumber - it's some nice looking stuff. You can smack the tar out of me with it if you like and if you do you may have found a new use for it. Seriously I would at least like for you to see it.
Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff...I would love to chuck up some ToH and put my "wood beaters" to it, it would be an enjoyable experience. I am sure that it is pretty wood.
I agree that all living things have a place in this world and a reason to be there. Most of the trees that I mentioned have their designated place in other parts of the world. They are exotics here and are hurting the native tree population by their aggressive spreading and lack of natural controls (pests, disease, etc.) A very good example of this is Kudzu, it is a valued plant in it's native home of Japan. They use it for many good purposes like erosion control and even food (the flower nectar makes good jelly). It was brought to the US for use as a erosion control plant, which it does extremely well. But what wasn't figured on was the tenacity of it's tap root. In Japan, where it is native, the winters are much colder than in the southern US, and that prevents the tap root from growing to the great lengths like it does here. Also the plant has some natural insect predators, that aren't present here. Kudzu in the southern US has become almost impossible to control, because it's tap root continues to grow through the winter and provides such an huge food storehouse that even repeated defoliation barely slows the plant down. Studies have found that one of the best way to control Kudzu is to fence in an acre, and let a herd of goats loose to eat on it until they have completely defeated it's ability to form new vegetative growth, that can often take years to accomplish.
Pawlonia is another example. It is a valued timber crop in it's native land where it grows slowly and produces valuable wood. Released in the US, it doesn't grow as slowly, and it's value as timber isn't as good. It has very few natural predators to keep it's growth in check and is very tolerant of poor soil conditions (the reason it was used in the first place, to help reclaim strip mines) so it has started to take over space where native plants could grow, especially in the Smoky mountains. The native plants that are displaced by the Pawlonia all have a reason to be here, according to the grand plan, they are pieces of the puzzle of life, and are being replaced by a piece that doesn't fit from a different puzzle.
Dave (hopping of his soapbox now) :)

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Dave, I've never heard of Pawlonia before. Looked it up on the web and it looked to have very pretty flowers and shape. What's the beef with it?????

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Pawlonia, comes in about 17 species, are rapid growing, fragrant flower, ornamental trees. All species produce seed pods. Whether seeds are carried by the wind, or new trees grow where the seeds drop or birds and other animals eating seeds help spread the population of these trees all open for discussion. Several species are being grown and sold here, because people like fast growing ornamental trees with fragrant flowers. The only species not considered invasive is Americana Elongata. Not sure believe that!In any event regardless of the species have a mess to clean up every years as flowers die and fall, seed pods and leave drop every year. Cutting back seedlings and pruning is necessary to maintain a healthy tree. That's what turned me against getting one for the yard. There are some Pawlonia plantations growing these trees for timber.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, I've never heard of Pawlonia before. Looked it up on the web and it looked to have very pretty flowers and shape. What's the beef with it?????

Jim, here is some information about it:

PCA Alien Plant Working Group - Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

PLANTS Profile for Paulownia tomentosa (princesstree) | USDA PLANTS

Manage and ID Paulownia tomentosa

issg Database: Ecology of Paulownia tomentosa=

princesstree: Paulownia tomentosa (Scrophulariales: Scrophulariaceae)

Oh, I was mis-spelling it - Paulownia tomentosa
Sorry for the error.
More invasives info: Landscaping with Native Plants: Invasive Exotic Plants in NC

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Jeff...I would love to chuck up some ToH and put my "wood beaters" to it, it would be an enjoyable experience. I am sure that it is pretty wood.
I agree that all living things have a place in this world and a reason to be there. Most of the trees that I mentioned have their designated place in other parts of the world. They are exotics here and are hurting the native tree population by their aggressive spreading and lack of natural controls (pests, disease, etc.) A very good example of this is Kudzu, it is a valued plant in it's native home of Japan. They use it for many good purposes like erosion control and even food (the flower nectar makes good jelly). It was brought to the US for use as a erosion control plant, which it does extremely well. But what wasn't figured on was the tenacity of it's tap root. In Japan, where it is native, the winters are much colder than in the southern US, and that prevents the tap root from growing to the great lengths like it does here. Also the plant has some natural insect predators, that aren't present here. Kudzu in the southern US has become almost impossible to control, because it's tap root continues to grow through the winter and provides such an huge food storehouse that even repeated defoliation barely slows the plant down. Studies have found that one of the best way to control Kudzu is to fence in an acre, and let a herd of goats loose to eat on it until they have completely defeated it's ability to form new vegetative growth, that can often take years to accomplish.
Pawlonia is another example. It is a valued timber crop in it's native land where it grows slowly and produces valuable wood. Released in the US, it doesn't grow as slowly, and it's value as timber isn't as good. It has very few natural predators to keep it's growth in check and is very tolerant of poor soil conditions (the reason it was used in the first place, to help reclaim strip mines) so it has started to take over space where native plants could grow, especially in the Smoky mountains. The native plants that are displaced by the Pawlonia all have a reason to be here, according to the grand plan, they are pieces of the puzzle of life, and are being replaced by a piece that doesn't fit from a different puzzle.
Dave (hopping of his soapbox now) :)

Well I don't disagree with anything you said, very good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS