hollywood gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did you cut all of it into flat boards? I would like a couple of bowl blanks if you run across another tree that size.

I pass this house on the way to work every morning, someday I may get the courage to stop. In the front yard is a huge magnolia that is almost all burl, all the way up the trunk are huge balls in the wood. I just know there are some fantastic bowls hiding in there.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Whew that is really nice.

Too bad it isn't all dry, I would of surely liked some for the Backgammon board I am making. But all the pieces are cut and in the process of putting it together.

If you do happen to sell any what would be your price? And like Mike Davis said, have any bowl blanks or pen blanks?

Thanks and what a Grrreat SCORE!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jay, I agree with Mike. Leave a few lengths for bowl blanks. Now that you know the way to my place you can drop them here for storage. :gar-Bi

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Is the sycamore cut already? If not, how about having Kevin quarter saw that thing? I'll help pay for his time in exchange for some of it.

Hmmm, that slab of concrete the stack is sitting on looks familiar :wink_smil:wink_smil

Touchwood

New User
Don
Most of it was cut into lumber. I was a little hesitant to carve out any big chunks for bowl blanks since I wasn't sure of the likely hood of getting rid of them. I probably will have some pen blanks and maybe some smaller bowl blanks.

I do know of another good sized holly tree but not as large as this one. We might cut it later in the the year...

J

Sully,

If you cut it later, let me know. I use Ash for accent wood in my rockers..but on lighter woods for the main parts, it might be good to try something like Holly.

Actually, a thought just happened:swoon:

Holly is very white and pretty featureless..but if someone wanted a "modern" rocker, one made mostly with Holly and using say, walnut for the accent ...might be pretty unusual. The contrast would be great, I think.:eusa_danc

I need about 40 to 50 BF to build a rocker..all at 8/4. It needs to plane down to 8/4, so 9/4 cut would be better.
Please let me know if you decide to cut the other tree..I can get it dried.:icon_thum

Don

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Nice.. hope it stays white for you..best time to saw and dry holly is winter although you may have put it on stick quick enough to avoid stain..watch for sticker stain as it can penetrate pretty deep.

good luck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, you did a great job of stickering and stacking. I have had trouble with green stock because I'm not retentive enough to "properly" stack it...at least that's what LOML says! :gar-La;

The holly looks like it would be great for contrast wood in a lot of different projects.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors