Hollowing tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shavingsinmypockets

New User
Patrick Harrison
Im thinking about buying some kind of hollowing tool but im not really sure which one to buy:dontknow:. What are your opinions on which to buy? Any help is aprecciated! :eusa_danc

-Patrick

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depends on what kind of hollowing you want to do. for bowls I made an oland tool. only cost about 10 bucks to make and its the most used tool in my arsenal.:gar-La; I supose it wouldnt be too much trouble to make one and bend it in a hook for vessels.:icon_thum but I havent done it yet.:BangHead:

jimwill48

James
Instead of buying, make them. They are pretty easy to make. See back posts on the Oland Tool and also check out www.aroundthewoods.com. I just completed a 45 deg angled hollowing tool this weekend to go with my straight Oland hollowing tool. Pic's to come......james

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
I agree, for the smaller hollow forms, you can make most of your tools with some steel and a MAPP gas torch. We make them quite often in the Friday club. For larger and deeper vessels, you will need some sort of "system". I have an ELBO tool and different inserts for different tools. The steady end mounts to the quill of your tailstock and the tool end rests on your tool rest. Hollowing is as easy as rowing a boat. I've hollowed 9 inches deep through an opening of about 5/8 inches wide with home made tool on the end of it with no problem.

John

jimwill48

James
You can get them from enco, but you can also buy the blank turning tool set from HF for I believe $3.50 this comes with a 1/8" sq, 3/16" sq, 1/4" square a 1/4" rd and a parting tool. You will need to use the 3/16" sq one it will make 2 bits of 1 1/4" long when cut in two.

The 45deg Oland tool I just made is not bent but I drilled the hole for the bit at a 45deg forward facing angle. The tool shaft is 16" long and 5/8" in dia with a 14" handle. The tool bit is held in with two 10/32x.25 grub screws. I sharpened the bit so that it has a round profile with a slight fingernail grind on the wings.....jw

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm sound like a broken record, but I built a tool from Aroundthewoods, and it was spot on.

I used his tip on using hand cut masonary nails as cutters. As long as you keep them sharp, they work quite well and cost pennies.

HSS is on my radar for fathers day (the tool was a xmas gift for my father a few years back).

If nothing else, helps you understand what they are about.

Jim

JRD

New User
Jim
Anyone wanting to make a few? I know I sure would like to.

It could be a good Saturday or Sunday get together if someone has a place with the needed equipment to make Oland tools.

Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm up for it. got everything exept a decent torch. I have the smal torch but no mapp gas.

Rob

New User
Rob
I have the tools to make it, but not the steel, 1/2" round stock is all I've found at Lowe's. Not sure if it's stout enough but I'm going to try.

Shavingsinmypockets

New User
Patrick Harrison
Ive got the handle and shaft of the tool done:tool:, but i dont have the HSS cutters yet:kamahlitu. on friday im going to harbor freight and klingspors, and im going to pick up the HSS cutters there and then attach it to my shaft:eusa_danc:eusa_danc. No pics right now:eusa_doh:, but ill try to get some of the finished thing up.

-Patrick

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I buy my bits from Enco. It is hard to beat their price. Here is my first hook tool I made yesterday, and here is a link to Enco.
Jack
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775

100_0817-copy.jpg

I put the set screw on the bottom to keep it from getting filled with wood.
100_0818-copy.jpg

JRD

New User
Jim
The job keep me busy most weekends, but I'll have a free one in about another two or three weeks.

If anyone wants to try a group project, send a PM.

Jim

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Splinter,
I used an acetylene torch to heat the rod up to bend it. I then drilled the hole in the end and tapped a hole for the set screw. The bend is around 1 1/4' Rad..
Jack

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I use 1/2" for this one. I don't see the hook tool being used except under the rim of a bowl to the side where it starts down. Unless you are doing a very large hollow form 1/2" should do fine.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS