Holbren router bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Are they any good. The price can't be beat. About half the cost of a Whiteside bit. I am looking to get a spiral upcut bit for mortising and dado work, but have hesitated due to the cost. Holbren is offering a 3/8" bit with 1/2" shank and 1¼" cut for $23.00 less a 10% WN disc. Holbren 3/8" Solid Carbide Spiral Upcut Bit 1/2" Shank :: 1/2" Shank :: Spiral Upcut :: Individual Router Bits :: Holbren Carbide is carbide, right? Anybody with experience with these bits, am I gonna get what I pay for????

Dave:)

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Dave, It seems we are all looking for the best we can get for our money. I suppose even Bill Gates does.
I had read (somewwhere?) that there are different grades of carbide, so I just did a quick search and found: General Carbide - Grades .
Not having any expertise in metalurgy, I have no idea what differences there are in the router bits that we find in the marketplace. But there certainly are different prices!
I have some Whiteside bits and have recently bought some from MLCS (no shipping charges) and haven't seen a difference. (My bits have seen only limited use.) If these bit were put to a test in the laboratory there might be significant differences.
Looks to me that it's time for you to see if the Holbren bits are worth the price. And be sure to let us know what you think.
Roy

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
From what I understand, the differences in carbide have something to do with particle size. Perhaps we can Charles M to chime in here. I'll bet he has something to say about Carbide and router bits:lol:

Charles M

New User
Charles
All carbide is not equal. By varying the particle size and the binders and additives used a very wide range of carbide grades can be created. Most cutter manufacturers buy carbide by standard gradings (C2, C3, C4, etc.) with C2 or C3 being the most popularly used on router bits. We make our own carbide in 21 different grades (we have our own grading scale) and match them to specific applications.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmm, learned something today :-D Now I wonder what grade of carbide is used in those bits. I've only used one solid carbide bit and it was a Whiteside, and very brittle :eusa_doh:DAMHIKT (1/8" bit with an inlay kit).

DavidF

New User
David
Talking of carbide router bits. I just used one of the carbide bits I had sharpened by "Dynamic saw" after the first pass I noticed a big chunk of the blade was missing. This bit had performed for several years and I thought I was giving it a treat and extending its life by getting it sharpened - guess not. I normally touch them up on my DMT diamond stone - maybe I'll just continue to do that?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Talking of carbide router bits. I just used one of the carbide bits I had sharpened by "Dynamic saw" after the first pass I noticed a big chunk of the blade was missing. This bit had performed for several years and I thought I was giving it a treat and extending its life by getting it sharpened - guess not. I normally touch them up on my DMT diamond stone - maybe I'll just continue to do that?

David I would call Dynamic Saw and let them know about the damaged bit. I've used them once for saw blades and had planned to use them for other blades. I'd like to know their response.

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have bought a few bits from Holbren. The price was good. I haven't used them enough to gauge their lifespan.

Chuck

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

If you do try these bits out, I'd love to hear how they perform... how clean they cut... any tear-out (up cut bit), and so on. I'm still searching for the perfect router bit.

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Well Dave, here you are:
bubble1.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What, am I suppose to have it nibble my dados, and mortises :icon_scra:icon_scra
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ahh, is that what that is. I thought it was a Hamster :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:I also just saw some real good prices on carbide up-spiral bits in the Hartville tool catalog I just got :eusa_thin

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Checking between the Holbren and MLCS websites, they seem to very from bit to bit as to who is cheaper. From what I have heard, the MLCS bits aren't too bad either.

Brian

New User
Brian
OK Dave, being you posted I accept the challenge and it will not cost you a penny. Email me your address and I'll send you a freebie 3/8" solid carbide bit, just post your findings.

sales@holbren.com

I sell the Whiteside version for $42.00 which is a good price too especially with the free shipping.

Thanks,
Brian

jimwill48

James
Holbren bits are as good as they come. I have over 40 (set and singles) of them and have used them a lot and they are still going strong. Brian is a joy to do business with and if you do have an issue, he will take care of you. I quess my best endorsment is that I will be buying more of his product in the future including the same bit you are looking at. Been using just straight bits and been wanting to try the Sprial Bits.

James

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Brian,
Fantastic offer! It's a sign of a good businessman who has confidence in his product. :icon_thum :eusa_clap
We'll all be looking forward to Dave's review!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK Dave, being you posted I accept the challenge and it will not cost you a penny. Email me your address and I'll send you a freebie 3/8" solid carbide bit, just post your findings.

sales@holbren.com

I sell the Whiteside version for $42.00 which is a good price too especially with the free shipping.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, I will take you up on that. I actually got the Holbren link off you signature on WN...if you are in Sunny Fla. :-D E-mail sent.
Thanks alot :icon_thum

Brian

New User
Brian
Brian, I will take you up on that. I actually got the Holbren link off you signature on WN...if you are in Sunny Fla. :-D E-mail sent.
Thanks alot :icon_thum

That's me, I must have made that name up in the Winter because it's hot as hell florida in the summer.

Use the woodnet coupon code for any future purchases.

I'll send the bit out tomorrow.

Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS