Hinges for boxes

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
As I and my daughter now have all the furniture we need, I plan to start making keepsake boxes for grandkids. I have yet to make my first one but have read up on the subject. I expect the boxes will be made from 7/16, 1/2 or maybe 5/8 thick sides. So my questions are:

1. Which companies are good sources for buying smaller hinges?

2. Do you buy gigs from same sources to route the hinge mortisses?

Kelly

Kelly
User
If you are just starting with boxes, the hinges will be your greatest challenge. There are hundreds, no thousands, of hinges out there of different types, sizes and applications.
Start with youtube, or invest in a good book on the subject. There are a lot of good books out there. Doug Stowe is one of the gurus of box making. His books are a good start.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Thanks, I have in fact bought and read 2 of his books. They are excellent. My concern is the best sources for small, narrow hinges. I looked at Horton's but they were all too big. If the box sides are 1/2 inch thick then I assume the hinges can only be about 5/16 wide

Last edited:

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I picked up some 22.00 hinges and was not all that satisfied with the quality. The material was not an even thickness from left to right and some hikes were off. Next up seems to be 80.00 ones which ain't happening at this point for my work.

As for placement I would concur with what you wrote as to size. There are considerations to length of hinge to box size I would assume. Me, I have just skipped the hinges for now and made lift lid boxes. They work, they don't add extra costs. Of course they don't increase my hinge morising either.

Member Dancam makes some real nice boxes. Maybe just PM him

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User
I started a box a couple weeks ago that I still have yet to finish and picked up this hinge from Rockler. I haven't used it yet. It's an 8", 105 degree stop hinge and may work for what you are looking for. It is designed for stock 1/2" or thicker.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider rubbernecking eBay or Etsy for Brainerd brass hinges. Stanley also used to make some brass hinges similar to Brainerd's sizes. They're not heavy or fancy like the $30.00/pair hinges, but they work fine. I've been using them for decades but my stock is running low.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Consider rubbernecking eBay or Etsy for Brainerd brass hinges. Stanley also used to make some brass hinges similar to Brainerd's sizes. They're not heavy or fancy like the $30.00/pair hinges, but they work fine. I've been using them for decades but my stock is running low.
"L

Gboot

Gene
Senior User
I made a few boxes, for something more formal I used the Brusso hinges, which are very well made. For these driftwood boxes I used the Rockler hinge previously identified.

Attachments

• 267C9334-4424-45C7-8083-C231AADDDD18.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 080E6724-8E8F-4728-8E48-A0C1162DDEF6.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 22

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
My daughter and I now have all the furniture we need, so I plan to make keepsake boxes for grandkids. I have not made my first one, but I have read up on the subject. I expect the boxes will be made from 7/16, 1/2, or maybe 5/8 thick sides. So my questions are:

1. Which companies are good sources for buying smaller hinges?

2. Do you buy gigs from the same sources to route the hinge mortises?
Dave, you will enjoy box making. I have had success with side rail hinges I found on eBay and Etsy, starting with smaller boxes. The side rail hinges are fairly easy to install with a router table. The Rockler & Lee Valley hinges are a good choice as you progress to larger boxes. When you get into heirloom gift or for-sale boxes, I would move up to Brusso. I also use two British/Irish box hardware suppliers for my best boxes. 1.) Andrew Crawford (Premium Box Locks In Brass, Stainless Steel Or Gold Plated – smartLock) 2.) Ian Hawthorne (Jewelry Box Hardware - Premium Box Hinges | Side Rail Hinges | Brass Hinges). Both gentlemen are great box makers who sell high-quality side rail stop hinges and have good instructional videos. Both sites also have high-quality, full-mortise locks. If you want to discuss any details, please PM me, and I'd be glad to discuss and answer any questions.

Cheers,
Dan C.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's an example of the Brainerd hinges. Rather cheap and flimsy looking compared to the hinges Dan is recommending.

1     hinge 1 - 1.jpg

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Bob, is the width of those hinges equal to the width of the sides, or is there still some narrow sliver of wood in front of the hinge? I cannot tell when I blow up your picture. Did you do the mortises with a chisel or router, and did you just make a jig out of MDF?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Timely post! I decided this week to try a little box making. I have not made a box in 30 years and very few of those had hinges.

Now if I can just find this post when I need it :) :eek:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Bob, is the width of those hinges equal to the width of the sides, or is there still some narrow sliver of wood in front of the hinge? I cannot tell when I blow up your picture. Did you do the mortises with a chisel or router, and did you just make a jig out of MDF?
Maybe these photos will help. The top is 3/8" thick to keep things from looking clunky. That presents screw length problems. I had to predrill carefully and then snip the ends off of the 3/8" long screws to keep the points from popping through. That's why the hinges are surface mounted to the underside of the 3/8" thick top rather than being mortised in.

Lets say I used a router jig to dap out the 1/2" thick back for the hinges. No hand chiseling since I was doing three copies. I cut the mortises in the back before assembly. The inside edges were rounded with a 1/4" rounder over bit once the box was assembled. Its nothing particularly fancy but I did have to work around the thinner stock to get the proportions I wanted.

1     hinge 3 - 1.jpg 1     hinge 2 - 1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS