Hickory Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Ok, I need some opinions. I was up at the house today my wife inherited last year. I found what I am pretty sure are 3 hickory trees. One is about 60 ft tall and maybe 24-30 inches in diameter. The other two are maybe 40 ft tall and 18-20 inches in diameter. Do you think it would be a good idea to take them down and get them sawn up? Has anyone ever used hickory for furniture? I know it is a very hard wood and I would probably make some turning blanks out. There are also several oaks that I think would be worth taking down and getting sawn. I just cannot let these trees get sold with the house if I can get the wood out of them!

cskipper

Cathy
We used air-dried hickory for our kitchen cabinets. Trust me, it is VERY hard. We went through several band saw blades and planer blades. Had more sense by the time we were ready to do the raised panel doors and switched to maple that matched.

dtomasch

New User
David
Alright, maybe this is blasphamy on this fine woodworking site, but sometimes I think that the most beautiful use of wood is what mother nature made. A tree. I love a grand hickory tree in the yard. It will make the home more attractive to buyers and more attractive to the neighborhood. That being said, I see no use in chopping a great tree into firewood if it must be removed. That seems like a whole lot of hickory lumber, which makes me shake in my boots, as I can't stand working that iron. But if they must go, turn em into a beautiful piece of furniture for generations to enjoy. Just my humble opinion. (since you asked:rolf: )

M

McRabbet

I must agree with David -- if the tree (or trees) does not need to be cut down, then leave them for the new owners. Trees take decades to mature to the grandeur that you've described and should only be harvested if truly necessary. The property will have better value with these trees and you and your spouse will probably reap a better profit if you sell.

My $0.02 -- Rob

J

jeff...

I have to agree, I like em standing too. But if they have to come down then please TREE CYCLE. Nothing makes me feel worse than to see a good quality saw log be made into fire wood or even worse yet lay there and rot away:crybaby2:. It takes a lifetime to make a nice hardwood. I have a 6" peice of sycamore infront of me that came from a much larger board. But just in this little 6" wide peice I counted over 40 growth rings or 40 years. It's just about as old as I am and I can see were the rings are tightly spaced the tree did not recieve much water for approx 10 years, a drought perhaps? When I sawed this log my daughter counted the rings and it was well over 160. That's pretty amazing considering a big part of the south east has been logged atleast twice in the last 100 years.

Thanks

charlie s

New User
Charles
I also made my kitchen cabinets from hickory I had cut into lumber off my dad's farm a few years ago. The lumber is the most frustrating wood I've ever worked with, hard as a rock and prone to splinter without warning. I had to send off everything in the shop to be sharpened halfway through the job and again at the end. That said, the cabinets are very satisfying when I go into the kitchen. I used a cherry stain on them that I'm very pleased with. I just don't intend to ever make anything out of hickory again.

Charlie S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS