Hi Everyone (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cranbrook2

I everyone ,i am john from Cranbrook Ontario. i am a semi retired carpenter due to an injury. i worked on new home construction for over 20 yrs. my parents live in south Carolina.
i spend most of my time now building my extreme birdhouses and lawn ornaments from reclaimed wood. :mrgreen:

it is a pleasure to be here. i recognize a few name here already.

here is a link to some of my work.
john
http://community.webshots.com/user/cranbrook2

Attachments

• IMG_00041.jpg
    IMG_00041.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 205
  • ph2363093410076517307.jpg
    ph2363093410076517307.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 186

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi John,

Wow is certainly the right word. The photo posted in this thread looks like an apartment hosue. It makes me think of Purple Martins. Are yo after a particular type of bird? Any specialization in your work? You mentioned reclaimed wood. Do you use any particular type or wood from any particular place?

Ray

C

cranbrook2

Thank you everyone for all the nice replies. it is a pleasure to meet yous.
the reclaimed wood is all cedar barn board averaging around 120- 150 yrs old. i use a planer for some of the houses.
i have just recently read that the size of the holes will determine the type of bird including purple martins. i want to avoid attracting sparrows. i have built 19 houses so far. the largest being 9 ft wide.
i usually build 2 houses at a time. these 2 are almost finished.
thanks again
john

Attachments

• PIC00156-1.JPG
    PIC00156-1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 2639673440076517307qZebNi_ph.jpg
    2639673440076517307qZebNi_ph.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 175

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi John!

Wonderful work on 'dem 'dare bird apartment buildings!:eusa_danc They certainly would dwarf the feeders and houses I have done in the past.

By the bye, in what part of Ontario is Cranbrook located? (I seem to recall a Cranbrook, BC when I lived up there in Ontario a few years back.) There are a few of us Canajuns' that have managed to join this fabulous site!

You will soon find that there are plenty of great woodworkers here willing to share their many talents and ideas!

I look forward to seeing more of your inspirational work!

Take care a post often!

Wayne

i48318

New User
Gerald
Extreme is definitely the word! This is beautiful work. Obviously lots of hours of work involved. Thanks for sharing.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I've had to deactivate cranbrook2's membership. He is not an NC resident and had no other qualifying characteristics. I always hate to turn away new members, especially one like cranbrook, becuase it seems like he would be a good member.

If you are not sure why I have done this, please read this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS