Hi all check out big red

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
This is a 30" Red Oak I'm gutting up for trailer decking.
DSCF1105.jpg

M

McRabbet

Now that's a slab of wood! How long did it take to cut this one with your LT?

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's kinda a shame that it is going to be trailer decking. I would love to make a slab table or bench out of it.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Very nice, don't ask me why but red oak is my favorite lumber, It's tough, yet easy to machne. The only thing I don't like about oak in general is it smells like puke when it's green - but that only lasts so long...

Looks like you got a nice set up.

Thanks

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Now that's a slab of wood! How long did it take to cut this one with your LT?

Rob
Hey Rob, Not sure what you mean? It takes about 30 or 40 seconds per pass. There will be a good bit of it left over I just need 24 2X8's from it. If anybody wants a slab let me know and I'll save it. Also I have one more log about the same size as this one. but it's gonna be a monster to get loaded on the mill, due to limbs and crotches. I need a forklift :lol:

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
It's kinda a shame that it is going to be trailer decking. I would love to make a slab table or bench out of it.
Dave:)
There is more of it, DavO, The picture shows the log at 22"W. When I get to the center, the boards will be right at 30"W. Max I can cut is 31"W. :roll:

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Man this is some pretty wood. Fixing to start cutting 2x6's and 2x8's
DSCF1118.jpg

I hate to think of a dozer running over this :eusa_booh
DSCF1116.jpg

M

McRabbet

That will yield some very nice 2x's! They will last a long time in a trailer deck.

Rob

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Man, how can something that is so good looking, stink soooo bad. 8-O I used the whole log and still need 6 more boards,That stinks as well :crybaby2: Now I have to load another one for 6 little 2x6's

J

jeff...

Hey Rob, Not sure what you mean? It takes about 30 or 40 seconds per pass. There will be a good bit of it left over I just need 24 2X8's from it. If anybody wants a slab let me know and I'll save it. Also I have one more log about the same size as this one. but it's gonna be a monster to get loaded on the mill, due to limbs and crotches. I need a forklift :lol:

Man, how can something that is so good looking, stink soooo bad. :shock:

I was thinking a bobcat instead of a forklift might be good. It could serve due purposes, log loader and with the bucket it could be used to clean up around the mill.

Green red oak does stink BAD! The first time I milled some, I about lost my lunch :oops:. Had to step away for a little while, till I got used to it a bit.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
I was thinking a bobcat instead of a forklift might be good. It could serve due purposes, log loader and with the bucket it could be used to clean up around the mill.

Green red oak does stink BAD! The first time I milled some, I about lost my lunch :oops:. Had to step away for a little while, till I got used to it a bit.
I think Im going to try one of those piggy back forklift trucks, that way I can use forlift to load logs on truck as well. :roll: But that all depends on price :lol:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
If you really want something that stinks try sawing Box elder..It attracts FLIES.

I actually dont mind the smell of Red Oak.

BTW Randy I threw some business your way. A man that wants to resaw a bunch of timbers from a textile mill(?) may be calling you. He called yesterday and I just dont have time for the volume he wants sawn but he needs a portable and I dont do portable anymore. The first load is a tractor trailer load and he said that he has 200K more board feet to have sawn. Could keep you busy a while. Just get a contract in place if you decide to on a job of this magnitude.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:lol: Hi Kyle,Yeah the guy called me yesterday. I am unable to go anywhere at the time because I have so many logs in front of the mill I can't get it out of the mill building. I do thank you for that though. He wanted some old timbers re-sawn. I wish I could have done it. I hate saying I can't do that right now. Anyhow thanks for the referral. I will be done cutting these logs into trailer decking in about two weeks. I only do this on weekends and evenings for now but if it keeps going like it has been I'm thinking of going fulltime. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS