HF Spinny Thing GLOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Thanks to MikeL for a great deal on his lathe I've acquired a new toy. Here we are at Mike's giving him some extra room in his shop:

and here it is in it's new home:

Now all I have to do is buy some turning tools and learn a little something and maybe I'll be able to do something other than just looking at it.

Any recommendations on the 1st couple of tools to buy?

The good news is that I've managed to convince the wife that she should learn to turn so we're starting this journey together with an intro class at the local Woodcraft in August. Hopefully she'll get interested in it so she'll spend all HER money on tools and I will not have to buy any myself:gar-Bi (sneaky aren't I)

Later

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
YOU ROCK, MICHAEL!

The new home for your lathe actually looks like a home. Is that your living room or does your shop just look like one?:gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Congrats Mike! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Welcome to The Darkside. :elvis:

If you'd like to start turning bowls, I would would get a nice 5/8" bowl gouge, a nice chuck and a few dvds to help you along. HF sells a pretty decent set of tools also. If I remember correctly, they go for about $30. A good sharpening system isn't a bad idea either.

Oh, and a broom and a dustpan. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Yeah - I've a recommendation. I bought Alan Lacer's "The Skew Chisel" DVD - I'd always really sucked with this tool, which isn't good because my main use for a lathe are furniture parts.

I would highly recommend that you purchase this DVD before you buy any tools and watch it. Besides having some superb instruction on using one of the more difficult turning tools, there's instruction on sharpening and tool geometry. He makes it look easy, and after buying a skew from Woodcraft that's set up according to his directions, it was easy for me as well.

Made me feel like a real fool for struggling with the tool for years - 10 minutes after watching the DVD I was turning perfect tapers, beads and shoulders.

Highly recommended, and the "Son of Skew" video contains some practice projects for your new-found skills.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I bought a set of the HF el-cheapo lathe tools when I got my lathe, lo these many years ago. The figuring was, I'd use them to learn how to properly sharpen lathe tools, then when they wore out I'd buy a proper set. One thing I found was I prefer sharpening them on my little bench belt sander - it's quick, it's easy, it works. I figure that's because when you move the tool you're constantly changing the angle of the tool, so using a device to sharpen at the same angle every time is useless. For a plane iron, yes, it makes sense, for a lathe tool or wood chiesl, no. Anyway that's the way I see it. However, never did wear the tools out, and recently funded my kid an older Shopsmith ($175 and works great), so gave him the tools. I figure the next set I get I will make myself, once I get a few other projects out of the way. And make a forge.

I'd definitely get something under those legs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS