HF Moisture Meter Question: Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm on my second one of these and this one is doing the same thing. I do not get a reading on green or dry wood, high or low scale. If I touch both tines to my skin it reads but nada in wood. Nothing about this in the instruction sheet. I've tried really pushing it in to the wood but I'm afraid it will crack the plastic case so I have not buried the sensors. Any ideas?
Thanks!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I bought one a month or two ago. It worked fine right out of the box, and tested reasonably accurate for it's cost. Last week I went to use it and I got nothing but a flicker in the battery light. I guessed it was a dead battery, I changed the battery and nothing changed. It won't read anything at all, I tested wet wood, dry wood and I get nothing but the flicker in the battery light. I am going to try to exchange it this weekend, but I doubt I'll have any luck, I no longer have the receipt.

Still happy with my HF lathe.....

Dave:)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
hate to say it.. but HF MM is not the best in the world..Go Lignomat or Wagner

pinless to 1.5" thick is the best bet..

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have a HF MC tester.
It is a cheap kock off. But It isn't that bad. Same circuitry basically.
However cheaply made so treat it with Kid gloves.
I drill my holes for the sensors to fit into.
slightly smaller than the sensor pins and then insert it into these holes.
Remember the sensors according to the instructions need to be between an 1/8 and 1/4 inches down.
Well the plastic body and pins wont put up with the downward force you would need to get those pins in that far. Not in real wood anyways, lol

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!It's brand new seo batteries are good (give a good bite on mt tongue). Randy, I thought about driving some brads and using some jumper wires. Drilling is easier.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Uh oh! I've been having similar problems. Worked great new, but it's gone flaky. Putting in a new battery helped at first, but frequently it just doesn't work. Think you figured it out Skysharks. Forcing the pins probably damages the poor quality contacts that results in faulty reads.

Another lesson learned :BangHead:

Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
hmmmmmm.......... so i guess its time to add my HF MM to the list of crap i am going to sell or otherwise lose? dozer said his did not read on some wallnut he had. hope it wasnt a false read!:rolf:

fred

dozer

Mike
Nope mine still works I cheat and drill 2 small pilot holes when I test because I am afraid I will break the thing if I don't

clowman

Clay Lowman
I got the same cheapie. I figured no more than I'd use it, it wouldn't kill me to have it. Is is possible that the wood you are trying to read is > 35% or
< 7%. The instructions on mine said it wouldn't light up any lights in those 2 cases. To test it, touch both prongs to a metal surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS