HF DC WOrth Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
I've seen discussions about the HF 2hp DC before but didn't pay any real attention to them. What is the general opinion about this DC? Worth considering or a junker?

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Think its definitely in the worth column but it might require a few extra modifications like replacing the filter bag with a wynn filter and a preseparator.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I had the HF unit for about three years, replaced the bag with a Wynn canister filter. It worked well, especially in conjunction with a trash can separator/ Thien baffle. For the money, it's hard to beat. My unit did eventually die, I gave it away to someone here on NCWW. Probably a start capacitor. I know several other people that have had the HF unit for years without problems, and also know some people who have had Delta and Grizzly machines blow up within a year, so I can't really judge whether it's any better or worse quality wise.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
I've seen discussions about the HF 2hp DC before but didn't pay any real attention to them. What is the general opinion about this DC? Worth considering or a junker?

David,

If you do decide to buy one, I have a HF coupon for $149.99 good thru Sept.

I was going to get one, but found a Steel City at a steal.......

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have the HF dust collector. Got it for $139 with a coupon. You can't beat it for the money. It works great for me.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I had that DC for a few years. It worked ok with 4" flex hose. I replaced both bags with .5 micron felt bags. If you are going to use it for one machine at a time with a short run of hose, it should be able to keep up with a lot of machines. I think it would have a tough time with machines that produce lots of fine dust, like a drum or belt sander.

The motor on that DC is a 120 only, it cannot be re-wired for 240. Make sure you have a dedicated, 20 amp circuit to run it on, 15 might not be sufficient.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
David,
based on my daily experience testing HF'ish spec'd (cheap) motors I believe the first item I would suggest in a wood shop with that brand of collector is a good fire extinguisher. After that just run the he** out of it and don't expect to be able to repair it when it bites the bullet. For the same money as all the necessary mods buy something good ,on the used market and at least be able to get parts for it if you have to repair it.My Delta 851 is going on 12 years old and it hasn't even hiccuped.Good Luck
Greg

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have had mine for over 2 years and so far no issues. I have a Wynn filter on it, run 5" hose and installed a Thein baffle in the filter ring. That last $7 modification made all the difference in the world and let's me go several bags worth of dust between filter cleanings and at good airflow.

For the money it is a great value, but next time around I am planning to spend more money so it will be replaced with a 3hp+ cyclone...but only when it is dead.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
David,
there is good and bad in everything ,I, from work experience, have gotten to a point in my life where I don't want anything to do with the cheap Chinese stuff under any condition.Taiwanese and japanese stuff is almost unavoidable ,if you can even find out where the stuff is manufactured. I have had no luck with HF stuff and as a result,don't go near the place.If it works for you then you are luckier than I am.
Greg

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I've had mine for about a yr now,pd a total of 189.00 for it which included a 3 yr warranty,so far so good,although I plan to get the whyn cartridge filter for it. Question, how does that thein baffle work,did you make your own or by one.

DWSmith

New User
David
Question, how does that thein baffle work,did you make your own or by one.

The baffle works much better than I had expected. The small one I use for the double drum sander captures more than 3/4 of the dust that goes through it. The big one with a 55 gallon barrel captures almost 100% of the chips the jointer produces. My Oneida Pro 2000 works easier and doesn't seem to have as much filter cake inside anymore.

DWSmith

New User
David
I appreciate all the opinions I have read here. There sure is a wealth of information here.

What I have decided to do is use the small Delta DC I have with a thein baffle for the table saws. No real expense here, I already have the small DC, the 35 gallon barrel and the plastic duct. Tomorrow I will get some 4" spiral pipe and 90 degree elbows from Ferguson Supply and hook everything up. This will keep the fine dust out of the Oneida filter and make it easier to empty the barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS