Hey there from Lloydtown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Hey there. My name is Jerome Bias. I seem to keep meeting folks from on the list so I figured that I might as well quit lurking and come on out and say hey.
I live over here in Lloydtown (a well hidden section of Orange Co.).
As for woodworking I have been having fun with this stuff for the last 6-7 years. I do period woodworking. I got tired of the dust and gave up all of those electron eating pieces of equipment, and have resorted to the Neanderthal way of doing things. (okay, I could give up the cordless drill but the lathe had to stay) Periodically I get to go out in public an do demonstrations. {Hmm. lets see what happens when we mix together kids and sharp pointy things}:saw:
Oh yeah what kinds of things do I make. Being a history geek I focus on NC furniture that celebrates the diverse cultural groups that made up Eastern NC (my home neck of the woods) before the Civil War.

Jerome

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. You've got yourself a pretty well defined niche to work from. Do you get your plans from original pieces in museums, photos, or work by eye?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Jerome,

Neander style is great, as there are many of us power people that are are slowly getting, more and more, into hand tools and working with them. We look forward to your input.

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Being a history geek I focus on NC furniture that celebrates the diverse cultural groups that made up Eastern NC (my home neck of the woods) before the Civil War.
Jerome

Welcome Jerome, that's for the intro. I am glad that you joined us...I think I will learn a lot from you. I would be very interested in finding out more about the NC furniture that you speak of. I wasn't aware that NC was home to any particular unique styles.
I look forward to your input in the forums, and seeing some of your work.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there, Jerome and Welcome!!!!:eusa_danc

I too would be very interested in seeing some of your work. NC period furniture does intrigue me! I have never been to Old Salem but I have been known to hang out for quite a while (so my family say) at the cabinet shop and wheelwright shops of Colonial Williamsburg. I am forever fascinated by their skills and craftsmanship!!!

Please don't forget to stop by the Picture Gallery and upload some photo's of your work (and :tool:'s too)!

We are glad to have ya and look forward to your input and dialog.:icon_thum

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile, Jerome! We're glad you finally decided to introduce yourself. This is a friendly bunch, always willing to help.
I look forward to seeing some of your work.
Take care,

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the friendliest woodworking site on the net. It is good to have you here.

Tracy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Jerome, and welcome to NCWWer :thumbsup:
We need more neanders! Look forward to your input and pixs of your work. I'm fond of NC history and have collected a few books along the way, but confess to knowing little about NC period furniture.

Cheers,
Roger

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Old Salem has a museum Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. Da Bomb. It gives the Williamsburg collection a good run for the buck. Plus they'll open stuff up for you and they have a humongous database of pieces of furniture, measurements, pictures, provenance, plus they are really nice.
I like the guys in the single brothers woodworking shop. If you are nice they will let you play with the tools and help you on your projects.
The place is a hidden treasure.

JB

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Jerome -- We'd love to see some pics of your furniture and shop -- Mebane is a great little town with lots of furniture history -- I've toured the Craftique plant with the owner and we've got about 10-12 pieces from their post-High Point sales (before they opened the outlet -- some beautiful stuff. And Old Salem is the Bomb, I agree -- need to go back as it has been too long!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
WELCOME!! This is a great place to share and gain knowledge!

I can only echo statements already made...I'd love to see pictures of your work and your shop!

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Jerome, near where I lived in NJ there was a restored iron making village and I was always fascinated to watch their woodworkers making wooden molds and furniture the "traditonal " way .:wwink:

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I got brave and posted some pictures in the gallery. I haven't figured out how to put them in a posting yet.

Jerome

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors