Help with Oliver 159 Lathe opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Folks,

I have been looking for a lathe. Nothing big, but something for small to medium bowls and pens. I have been using a Jet Midi Lathe for years, which is with me at my overseas duty station. I have been looking to get another for my summers in states.

An opportunity has come up on an Oliver 159 lathe which includes a variable frequency drive that will convert 110V, single phase, into 220V, 3-phase, for $700. Some details are: 3/4 HP, #2MT, thread 1.125", all pieces are present, weighs 600 lbs. And of course, I will have to drive about 5 hours to pick it up. A picture of it is below, or I tried to insert it. I have tried to upload the photo and it is in my gallery at this URL: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=65337&title=oliver-159-lathe&cat=500

What do the experts think? Thank-you for all input. Guy

8570bf7e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A very clean looking older lathe. Unless it includes a lot of tooling, $700.00 seems just a bit high to me.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
as scott said it may be a bit high BUT it is an oliver and its restored. that lathe will prolly outlast all of us!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Well folks, I have worked out a deal with the seller and am now working out a time for seeing the lathe operate and pick it up. When working out our tentative deal, the seller went into a lengthy discussion on the machine, the new bearings in the motor and headstock, new pulley and belt, new electrical wiring, missing spindle lock, and the Delta banjo. Obviously, a project the seller has a lot of time and sweat into the renovation, and is proud of his result. Then, he went to include several items in the deal that made the decision just too easy.

I am not that familiar with the Variable Frequency Drive (which is also a voltage and phase converter, as I understand it), so the seller is going to install it and run it when I show up. Apparently, the rpm's can then be controlled both by the Reeve's drive on the lathe (the big handle on the front of the lathe), but also by adjusting the frequency on the VFD. Could be very neat, but am hoping to get experienced views on that.

And of course, I intended to load the lathe into the back of my 15 passenger van. So, if anyone has a good idea on how to unload it safely, by myself, since my helpers are all gone right now, I would be grateful. My previous method of sliding tools down a ramp always took two people, so I am not sure I can do that by myself. Being so top heavy and not sure I should lay it down on its back, I am less than sure of how to go about this movement. I was thinking of sliding it out from the van onto a sawhorse platform and then lowering it down. But now I am thinking that making a thick plywood base with wheels on the bottom, attaching it on pick up, and loading in my lower and open trailer instead, will make for a safer and easier operation. Anyone have any other ideas?

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Folks,
Does anyone know the measurements of the base of an Oliver 159 lathe? Seller is on a trip, so I can't ask him until he returns, but I am working on building a rolling base for transport and ease of movement. The seller stated that bed was 32", but I think he meant the turn distance was 32" (which is really 36", as that is what Oliver produced, and in the picture I notice the motor is not fully at one end of the bed). If true, then the bed is really 60" and the legs are about 70" long and 24" wide at the bottom. How close is this?
Thank-you,
Guy

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Aren't bricks a standard length with a standard amount of spacing between them? You should be able to get pretty close on length from the picture.

Jim Roche

jim
User
For transport, I would think you could take the legs off and that would also help you on the unloading side. I think you should be able to possible carry the legs or use a hand truck and then slide the bed down the ramp and use the same handtruck to move it into the shop/garage.
I moved a vintage Yates American approx weight 400+ lbs by myselft with a hand truck. Once I got it all in the shop, I used to wooden shop stools to balance the bed (I had to shim it up to get to the right height) and then attached the legs. I think it will be easier than you think.
Good luck with lathe, its a beauty.
Just to let you know, the seller of that lathe is a well respected member over on the Vintage Machinery Site.
Good luck with lathe, its a beauty.
Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Guy, congrats on your new acquisition. Personally, I think that you made a good decision to purchase it and I'm glad that you bought it.

You will find the VFD very easy to operate, once the seller shows you how it works. Most likely you will not adjust the reeves drive very often.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Andy, what a great idea about the bricks. Bricks are 8" long, and I count almost 8 of them plus 8 mortar spaces, which I add up to about 66". Since there are quite a few different models, the length of the bed varies. The 24" wide seems to be standard with Oliver.

I have come up with a tentative plan. I suppose I could take it all apart, but perhaps I can avoid that. The seller has an engine lift and can set it in my trailer. I can back the trailer into my garage, lift up lathe with ropes to boards across the rafters, and then lower it down after removing the trailer.

If still need to be able to roll it around when I get it to my workshop and garage, so after he lifts it up I intend to attach a frame of wheels that I made this afternoon. In the picture I notice there is a hole in the foot of each leg where a lag bolt can be attached.

Is this a good plan? I have plastic and a tarp, but help me pray for dry weather on Saturday.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Andy, what a great idea about the bricks. Bricks are 8" long, and I count almost 8 of them plus 8 mortar spaces, which I add up to about 66". Since there are quite a few different models, the length of the bed varies. The 24" wide seems to be standard with Oliver.

I have come up with a tentative plan. I suppose I could take it all apart, but perhaps I can avoid that. The seller has an engine lift and can set it in my trailer. I can back the trailer into my garage, lift up lathe with ropes to boards across the rafters, and then lower it down after removing the trailer.

If still need to be able to roll it around when I get it to my workshop and garage, so after he lifts it up I intend to attach a frame of wheels that I made this afternoon. In the picture I notice there is a hole in the foot of each leg where a lag bolt can be attached.

Is this a good plan? I have plastic and a tarp, but help me pray for dry weather on Saturday.

just use studded casters in the holes in the legs. how might you let this beast down with ropes? I would buy or borrow a chain hoist [I have one] or a block and tackle setup. If the rope slips you wont stop it. easiest way without the right equipment would be to remove the legs. It will load and unload much easier and will ride better too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mine is a little larger and I always take it apart to move it. Much easier to move and safer both while moving and to get in and out of the shop. You will love the variable drive and the reeves will give you extended ranges.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Well folks. It was a drive, but the seller and I took it all apart and got it into my van. Unloading it putting it back together wasn't that hard until the motor and Reeves drive. Just slid the lathe bed part way out of the van and attached one leg. Slid the bed out the rest of the way and onto a table and put the other leg. So far no problem, until I tried to lift the motor and Reeves drive up and onto the bed. Two attempts and my back is complaining. Took a break, a long one. Grabbed it and fortunately the keys slid right into bed. Wow, what a relief that was.

Mounted the VFD. What a great device. Changes 110V single phase into 220V three phase for the motor. Set the VFD up so it runs from 5 Hz to 60 Hz, so both the VFD and the Reeves drive can change lathe rpm. This VFD is good for up to 1HP and cost about $130. Smooth. This lathe is amazing. Lots of torque too. Not sure I am going to be able to jam it up like the Jet midi lathe I also have.

I guess the biggest education I had on the whole thing was learning about VFDs and why I shouldn't avoid looking at some of the older machines that use 3 phase, although I see for higher HP the price of the appropriate VFD increases drastically too.

Thank-you for all of the help, especially Mike for recommending the simple idea of taking off the legs. Not sure why I hadn't thought of that. Guess I assumed it was all one piece or something silly like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS