help with chest lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

batk30msu

New User
brent
First, thanks to Scott Smith for hosting the lumber run last weekend.

I picked up some ERC to make a bench with storage for shoes under a covered porch by her front door . I couldn't have been happier with the quality of the wood I got from Scott.

I made a big mistake though . . . purchased a lid support from HD and it folded (literally) as soon as installed. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Right-Hand-Hinge-Lid-Support-C9220F3-RH/202315143#.Ud8luTsd6rY Cheap, flimsy sheet metal. Went to Ace hardware but they had the exact same support.
Others I have found only allow for a 60 degree opening, I would like 90 degrees if possible

Does anyone have a suggestion for one that they have had good luck with?

Thanks!

download.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I would order on from Nc Woodworkers Supply or one of the other online folks that handle hardware. Just make sure you get one the fits the weight of the Lid

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I would highly recommend the Rockler Lid-stay torsion hinges.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30958&site=ROCKLER

I used a pair on my grand daughters solid red oak toy chest and they were easy to install and definately keep the lid open at various levels. And. No slamming down on wee ones fingers.

You just try and weigh the lid in order to select the correct "inch-pound" hinge.

Yes. They are not inexpensive, but for the assurance that the lid will not slam shut, easy install and a sturdy hinge; I thought they were well worth the extra $'s.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you don't mind the cost, the Rockler hinges Wayne referenced will probably be the best choice. If you want to go a little less expensive, I've used these from Woodworker's Supply and been satisfied.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've used the hinges Wayne recommended. Super quality, definitely the best solution, but pricey. For a child's toy chest, or heirloom blanket chest, a no-brainer. For a shoe storage bench, I'd probably go with Bill's solution.

And yes, great looking chest. :eusa_clap

But, it's Friday! That's less than a week since the lumber run. And it's already done?!!?!?!? Ridiculous. I'm lucky if I have the lumber stacked within a week....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brent, thanks for the kind words (as well as your purchase!). The chest came out superb.

Another option is a simple tension type door spring. It's rigidity will keep the lid stable when opened, and you simply push it out of line a bit in the middle to close it. If you're interested, I'll take some photo's of one in a similar application and post them.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brent, thanks for the kind words (as well as your purchase!). The chest came out superb.

Another option is a simple tension type door spring. It's rigidity will keep the lid stable when opened, and you simply push it out of line a bit in the middle to close it. If you're interested, I'll take some photo's of one in a similar application and post them.

Scott

This is what I'm referring to. My wife's mobile veterinary hospitals uses these in certain locations and they work surprisingly well. When they are straight they keep the lid from closing until you use your hand to bend them in the middle.

4593257.jpg

batk30msu

New User
brent
Thanks Scott. That might be a bit more practical and I could probably pick one up locally.

I did see hinges like the ones Willem used but since I used 4x4s for the corners to match her timber framed entrance they would not be straight forward to install.

As for the time frame, I am a teacher so I was lucky enough to spend the whole week in the garage working on this. It isn't climate controlled but the milder weather allowed me to stay out for longer than usual in July. I also used pocket holes and gorilla glue instead of MT, saving a bunch of time.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. . . . now if I can just get my garage to air out a little bit. My wife said it smells like her gerbil cage used to from all the cedar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors