Help on Cherry Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I have a Mantel Clock I just completed and need assistance on a good finish to complete the project. This needs to be 1st class. Can anybody assist me with suggestion on this. This is going to be LOL's 30th anniversary present. Terry:confused_:dontknow::help:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Terry,

I'd go with shellac. A clock will not be handled much and shellac is really easy to work and build for a super smooth finish. Start with a wash coat (1lb cut) and then build with two or three 2lb cut. Rub out the final coat with some 4-O steel wool and apply a good paste wax. You can add a little color with amber shellac but cherry will darken on its own over time.

Good luck.

Dan C.

PS...where are the pictures of the clock?????

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Terry - what sort of style of finish do you want to end with ? High gloss, low gloss, "natural" wood look,...?

For most cherry pieces - especially those that won't see much wear - I'm fan of the "hand rubbed oil finish": simple mixture of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 oil varnish, 1/3 mineral spirits. Apply min. 3 coats with a lint-free cloth, waiting 24 hrs between coats.

BTW, whatever finish you choose, you should experiment on scrap..or you'll be experimenting on the mantle clock !

-Mark

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Terry - what sort of style of finish do you want to end with ? High gloss, low gloss, "natural" wood look,...?

For most cherry pieces - especially those that won't see much wear - I'm fan of the "hand rubbed oil finish": simple mixture of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 oil varnish, 1/3 mineral spirits. Apply min. 3 coats with a lint-free cloth, waiting 24 hrs between coats.

BTW, whatever finish you choose, you should experiment on scrap..or you'll be experimenting on the mantle clock !

-Mark
I also like the hand rubbed finish because it gives that antique look if done correctly. But I want to look and try all that have given me advice. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS