Hello from Wayne County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
New member. Happy to have found a site with some local info.
We (LOML and me) just moved to the Goldsboro area from Florida so wife could be close to family.
I'm finally getting back to woodworking (making furniture that will fit the new home). Always loved it, just never before had the time to take my time and really try to get it right. Already have found its difficult finding good tool and material outlets in this neck o' the woods.
Spent the last 39 years working on acft, mainly coatings and structural. That said, I'm finding that finishing wood is a new challenge (especially in an unheated garage).
Just wanted to say 'Hi" and am now off to see what all is in the past posts.:)

Go

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Go!

Enjoy your tour of the forums and join the discussions. It's a friendly place with lots of give and take. :-D

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome. I doubt you are going to find much in tools in your area besides frequenting the pawnshops, but there are two pretty good stores in Raleigh now so that helps some.

Just so you know, one of the main unofficial rules is any claims to any tool or material acquisitions are imaginary until appropriate pictures are posted. Once they are, harassment begins. :lol: Again, welcome to the site and I look forward to interacting with you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Go, let us know what you are looking for material and tool wise and you'll get some great advice as where to find it. I am gald you could join our little bunch of North Kacalackins, we always enjoy more good folks in our ranks. I hope to see you around!!!
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome aboard Go. I am glad you could join us here on NCWW. I am sure you will find this site filled by a bunch of friendly NC (and a few foreigners from SC, TN and VA) WW'ers who are all willing to share their advice and knowledge openly. Let us know what type of furniture projects you are getting ready to undertake and be sure to post lots of pix. Feel free to use the "Other Links" button at the top right of the main tool bar to request a photo album for yourself. As the saying goes around here........"no pictures?............it never happened!"

D L

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Welcome to the site! You've found a great resource for woodworkers of any skill level, and a great bunch of people in general. I have never seen a question met with anything but a spot on answer here, and everyone is very genuinely interested in other people's success. Good to have you here!

Jay

New User
Jay
Go,

Welcome from another member living in Wayne County. Hope you enjoy the site and find it as informative as I have. Bunch of knowledgeable folks here.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Ah yeah, finishing in an unheated garage. Gotta love it. Welcome to the site, I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Posted more pics of this DVD shelf unit for LOML's computer room in Gofors Album

Hope this works. First time I've tried it:-?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Your picture works great and your shelf unit looks great. Great job on both!!!
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cool.............great looking DVD shelve unit. That turned out very nicely. What did you use for a finish on it?

D L

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For the finish, I used minwax products:
Final sand was 320g
2 coats pre-stain sealer
2 coats Golden Oak oil based stain
3 coats clear Satin Polyurethane (400 g sand in between)

The stains are nice to work with, but I'll be looking for another brand of poly. It was very hard to work with due to bubbles on application (used a china bristle brush) and would run very easily if you even approached a wet coat on vertical.

The unusual (to me) grain is due to the "Arauco" brand plywood I got from Lowe's. Its supposed to be some kind of pine, but very difficult to work with with a lot of surface flaws. The more I sanded it (as well as the finer the grit) the worse it got. The edges of the grain would actually raise and flake off. I used it because all the oak and birch had major open knots in both sides, definitely not worth the $45+ a sheet. I originally wanted oak to match the entertainment center it sits next to (posted another picture with it in place), but there wasn't any worthwhile to be had and LOML was pushing me to see some production from the new TS I bought ("Dear, look at the money We'll save if I make our own furniture"):mrgreen:
The "Arauco" ($33+ per sheet of 23/32) is 7 ply, with all plys the same thickness (not a thin veneer ply on exterior as oak and birch). Thought I could smooth it all out but finally gave up. It holds it shape well (less warping than sanded pine, probably due to the 2 added plys), saws nicely, and glues well. It takes the stain very close to the straight pine I used for the trim.
I was by Lowe's today and the latest batch of all three (Arauco, Oak & Birch) looked a lot better than that 6 weeks ago, so maybe they listened to my "constructive criticism". Hope so. It would be nice not to have to run to Raleigh and pay top dollar to get decent lumber.:cry:

Go

MarkW

New User
Mark
Welcome aboard! Some really nice work there also.
And its always cheaper to make your own furniture if you discount the new tools, wood and your time.....but its worth it anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS