Hello from harpsichord land

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all. My name is Ernie Miller and I'm a harpsichord maker and new member of NC Woodworker. Many thanks to Alan in Little Washington for introducing me to this wonderful site and for the kind words from various members pertaining to the harpsichord photos that Alan posted on the site.

In case you're wondering how someone decides to build something weird like harpsichords (most people do) let me briefly give a little background. My education was in Music and I taught Choral Music and Music Theory on the high school level in New York for 34 years. As a kid, I got interested in pianos (not playing them, but tuning and fixing them). Don't ask me why... I just did. That led to a second, parallel career as a Piano Tech, which led to the rebuilding and restoration of grand pianos. In 1980 I was asked to tune a harpsichord at a music conservatory in NY. It was love at first sight. As luck would have it, the builder of that instrument, Paul Kennedy, was one of America's finest builders and he lived in my town. We became close friends and, over the course of 6 years, he taught me the craft. I am forever in his debt.

Four years ago, my wife and I "retired" from teaching, tuning etc. and moved to Chocowinity, NC where I "retire" ten hours a day in my workshop building these wonderful instruments. Life just doesn't get any better than this.

And that's how someone gets to build something weird!

I'll upload a few photos as soon as I figure out how to do it. In the meantime, I am enjoying viewing the photo galleries and amazed at the quality of work I see there. Congrats to all for the wonderful works of art being built here in NC. I'm looking forward to learning new skills from the many talented craftsmen and women on this site. Thank you all for accepting me as a member.

Ernie

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hi Ernie. It is great to have you with us. I've seen some of your work online and... WOW! Truly amazing works of art. I can't wait to see more. :icon_thum

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Welcome Erine. I look forward to seeing some pics of your work. I'll be in Chocowinity for a few days next week. Is your shop open for tours. :) If so, PM me your phone number.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the site Ernie. It is great to have you here. Please post pics of your work.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Ernie! You may build weird instruments, but now you've gone and joined a bunch of weird people!

Glad to have you and truly look forward to pics of those beautiful instruments! To the best of my knowledge, I don't have a musical bone in my body (I haven't found one yet anyway), but when I first saw and heard a harpsichord I thought they were exquisite, both in form and function.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hello Stuart,

My door's always open although my shop is much too small to tour. Unfortunately, we're leaving for New York on June 30th and won't be back till about July 12. I hope you will drop me a line next time you're in Chocowinity. I love to have you visit my shop.
Ernie

cskipper

Cathy
Ernie, it's nice to meet you. Your work is outstanding! It's always wonderful adding folks to our pile of saw dust makers.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Ernie,
It's with great pleasure we welcome you to our wonderful site. You are truly an inspiration. Your website is beautifully done and your work is magnificent.
I hope one day to visit you and your very talented wife down east.
What I would give to hear one of your creations!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the group, you do beautiful work! I would love to visit sometime but it may be a while, I don't get over near the coast much.

I used to know a harpsichord builder in Tuscaloosa when I was growing up, his name was Anden Houben. Just did a quick search and he seems to be building still.

http://houbenharpsichords.com/

Know him?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Ernie:

Your work is truly outstanding! I imagine it would be a joy to colaborate with my wife on a project like that. Her painting really works with your work. They combine for a terrific old world feel.

On the thread that Alan posted, what is the primary wood you veneered with? Just curious.

Doug

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Ernie, all I can say other than welcome is what I told Alan on his post about you. "Just when I think I know what I'm doing, a real craftsman comes along and humbles me." Beautiful work.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Your work is fantastic, fabulous, phenomenal.... There are not enough superlatives to describe it. Welcome to the the site and keep on posting.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hello Tom,

Actually a harpsichord and a clavinova are about as different as two keyboard instruments can be. A harpsichord is a totally acoustic instrument in which strings are plucked with a plectra made of crow quill, leather, or as is the case with most harpsichords built today, delrin.

A Clavinova is a totally digital PLO (piano like object) made by Yamaha. It attempts to mimic the sound and feel of a piano. It, of course, has many advantages over a harpsichord in modern society - it doesn't normally need tuning - you can save and replay compositions digitally - it's smaller and somewhat portable. Many digital pianos even include a harpsichord sound.

Hope this helps,
Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Jerry,

Actually the opposite is true. As with most folks who specialize in one specific area (in my case antique keyboard instruments) my woodworking skills are rather modest and narrow in scope. I'm sure I have much more to learn from NC Woodworker members than they could ever learn from me. The nice thing about this site is that we can all learn from one another. Thanks for your reply.

Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hello Douglas,

Yes, it's great to work with your wife on a project like a harpsichord. The decorative aspect of harpsichords is quite important. Without her soundboard and lid paintings I would be in a terrible bind - my painting usually looks like it was done by a third grade student in need of a long nap.

As to your question about wood, there is no veneering on my instruments. The cases are made of poplar and painted with what seems like a zillion coats of enamel. Other woods used are Sitka Spruce for the soundboards, red oak for pinblocks, maple for bridges, ebony and bone for keytops, select pine for case bottoms and a few other woods used from time to time as conditions warrant.

Ernie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS