hello from Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilliu

New User
Gil
I've really enjoyed and benefitted from lurking around this site. Thanks all for the free learning and inspiration.

My wife and I recently took a beginner's woodworking class at a local arts center. We have three picture frames to show for the time -- made out of quarter-sawn white oak; mitered corners; joined with biscuits. It was our first experience milling rough sawn lumber and we both had a really great time.

Since then, I've been spending way too much time browsing the internet and the newspaper looking for deals on machinery. I've also really enjoyed visiting some wood suppliers. I haven't made much to speak of -- some slat wall for the shop and a few fixtures.

I'm going to wait to post pictures of our workshop and projects for a while. We've got two sons: one is 2 years and one is 2 months. The picture frames aren't stained/finished, and shop time is currently at a minimum.

I recently downloaded the free online issue of "Woodworking" magazine and hope to try to build the nightstand that's featured. I need to adjust a recently acquired jointer first (that's probably around 20 years old, but new and exciting to me). I've gotten some great help on this challenge in the power tool forums. I'd also like to try to make a crosscut sled for the table saw.

Hope everyone is having a great new year.

Sincerely,
Gil

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Gil and your wife! Glad you came out of the shadows! You will see that we don't require projects to be completed before posting, so if you want you can post your picture frames anyway. I can almost never wait to apply a finish to something before I post it (hmmm, maybe that's because I hate applying finishes). We also LOVE (and use the unfortunate term of "you suck" to show our envy) pictures of tool acquisitions. Enjoy the site and feel free to ask any questions or make suggestions. We all learn from each other.

If you wife would like to have her own "membership" she can sign up too. LOML and I have separate user ID's because we frequent the site very differently, work on different types of projects, ask different questions, etc...

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Gil. Glad you decided to come in from the cold. If you have been lurking for a while you know this group is like family. We even accept baby pictures from time to time.:)

childe

New User
Chris
NC Scroller reffered me to this site from a scrollsawing site that we attend, and I can't get enough of the wealth of info that is to be had here. By the way, scrolling is a great avenue for beginners.Check out www.scrollsawer.com , and welcome aboard. Show the scrollsaw stuff to the wife, but beware, she'll either get hooked herself or she'll have you making gifts for the whole family.

Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Gil!!! We're glad to have you and look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. :eusa_clapGlad to have you join us.:icon_thum
How get out there and take pictures!!!:lol:

Danny

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Gil, it's great to have you join us. It awesome that you and your wife can share in this great hobby. I look forward to your input in the forums. See you around!!

Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome to the site Gil, I'm sure you will find that the members here are helpful. Feel free to join in on any posts or to start your own, the more the merrier.

Once again, welcome to you and your wife.

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Gil:

Welcome. I work in Durham, so if you need a hand at lunch time someday let me know. I'll provide what little help I can.

Doug

M

McRabbet

Gil -- Welcome to the site and welcome to your wife as well! We're happy you found the site and hope you'll take advantage of all of the resources we have here -- check out the Photo Gallery for loads of ideas from members (and start your own for your shop and projects). And take advantage of our Link and Download Libraries, too -- loads of valuable info!

cskipper

Cathy
NC Scroller refereed me to this site from a scrollsawing site that we attend, and I can't get enough of the wealth of info that is to be had here. By the way, scrolling is a great avenue for beginners.Check out www.scrollsawer.com , and welcome aboard. Show the scrollsaw stuff to the wife, but beware, she'll either get hooked herself or she'll have you making gifts for the whole family.

Chris

You will also occasionally see me on that site as well as this one:
http://groups.msn.com/TheScrollersCafe/_whatsnew.msnw

and this one:
http://groups.msn.com/AbsolutelyFreeScrollsawPatterns

Badabing

New User
Joe
Welcome Gil! Good to have you join us. I'm fairly new here too and found this to be the very best site on the net for woodworking :icon_thum

My experience is currently limited to building up my shop but you will find that it is the best way to learn! So keep trying new things and build your shop up with fixtures, jigs, tables, cabinets, etc. Don't forget to post your pictures and check out all the ones in the galleries for some great ideas too.

Happy New Year!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer Bill (and family) from another Durhamite :icon_thum

Enjoy and share the fun of woodworking,
Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Gil, glad you joined up. Feel free to ask questions. We have all been beginners at one time of another, so someone here will be able to relate to any problems you may face.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the forum Gil! It's great to have you on board. I'm just around the corner from you... shout if you need anything.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Welcome,

Glad to have you here, I'm technically in Durham County with a Hillsborough Address. So if you need anything give me a shout.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Gil,

Welcome to the NCWW... to both of you. (I wish someone else in the house would join me in the shop.) You mentioned that you just acquired a jointer... what did you get? What kind of a capacity does it have?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors