Hello from a new transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
My name is Doug Robinson. I have just moved to NC from Virginia. Actually, we move in 8/1/06 in Raleigh. I work in Cary as a patent attorney. I have been woodworking for years. I am going to set my shop up in the garage. In the past it was in the basement, but we don't have one of those here. I am married to my wonderful wife Robin, and we have two children, Emma (almost 8) and Jake 6. I make mostly furniture of a wide variety of styles. I have made lots of Adirondeck furniture. I am planning a Lutyens bench for our new house.

The shop comes first. That will take a while as I have plans in my mind. I hope to make a lot of freinds here.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Doug, welcome to NCWW. I am glad you found us and could join us here. I think you will find the time spent on this site both informative and enjoyable.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Doug! We look forward to sharing the reconstitution of your shop. Post some pixs and enjoy the many resources NCWWer offers. :mrgreen:

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Welcome Doug, these are all great people so feel free to jump in. We like lots of project/shop pics so apply for a photo album and get posting!!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Doug! Welcome to NC and to the best WWing site on the whole WWW! There are lots of talented/friendly folks here, always willing to share. Don't hesitate to jump in anytime with questions or suggestions. The saying around here is "No pics, it didn't happen".
Enjoy

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Pics

I am a frequent vistor to Saw Mill Creek, so I know the rules on pictures. I will take a before picture next week, and then progress shots as I go. I have to build a wall separating the one stall of the shop from the rest. I have a friend here who is a licensed electrician. He is gooing to wire the shop in exchange for some built-ins at his house.

I intend to add AC to the shop in the internal wall. Somethings need to be moved, e.g., house vacuum, and phone lines. The good news is the electrical panels are in the shop and I have two windows. The badnews is I only have 22.5' x 12' of space. The ceilings are pretty high though.

Doug

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
Re: Pics

Welcome aboard Doug - look forward to pics on the progress of your shop! Have fun, make sawdust, be safe.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
It's a small world....Doug, I believe you and I met in Virginia when I was buying a used table saw and you were buying a Jet lathe from the same gentleman. Am I correct about this? Welcome to NC. Who are you working for in Cary? I have a friend who is a patent attorney with Lenovo (he was formerly with IBM).

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Doug,

Welcome to the NCWW. This site is terrific. Loads of folks with a variety of woodworking skills and talents. Jump in and post some comments, questions, answers, AND photos. We're looking forward to the work in progress shots of the shop.

Ray

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site Doug! You've already seen the gentle demand for pictures. Believe me, we get restless.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Welcome Doug! Don't forget that Triangle Woodworkers meets third Tues. of the month at 7:30 PM. Location is at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop on Capital Blvd (north of I-440). An FYI, Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on Thursday the 27th. So they still teach the three "Rs " in VA. Reading, writing, and the ROAD TO RALEIGH. Welcome to the valley of humillity, located between two mountains of conceit.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Welcome Doug! I am a newcomer to the site also - joined about 10 days ago, and was touched by the warm and sincere welcome and interest of other members. I'm just learning my way around the site, but I have entered some bio info on the Who We Are and also some pics in a photo album (timsparents). Hope all goes well setting up shop, and by coincidence, because of a chronic back condition, I am in the process of selling some equipment and tools. If you're interested in what I have, or what else is available, there is a great forum on Buy and Sell, which is a great feature. Hope to see some pics of yours soon -
Take care,
Roger

timsparents@earthlink.net

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hey Doug! Welcome!
Hope you enjoy the site, there are some great people here - not to mention unbelievably talented. Any questions, don't hesitate to throw them out there.

cskipper

Cathy
Glad you joined us! You'll find a lot of knowledge on this site along with a great willingness to spend you money setting us your shop. You might want to do a search under Woodguy disease!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks for the welcome

Thankfully, I have most of the tools I need right now. Including:

Delta 14” Bandsaw
Jet Cabinet Saw
Jet Floor Drill Press
Powermatic Model 54 Joiner
Performax 16-32 Drum Sander
Makita 12” Planer
Dewalt 12” Compound Miter Saw DW708
Jet Oscillating Spindle Sander
Dewalt Air Cleaner
Penn State Vacuum
Delta Mortiser
Porter Cable Belt Sander
Porter Cable rotating Sander
Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner
Porter Cable 7539 Router
Hitachi M12 Router
Dewalt DW615 Router
Festool ROS RO 150 E PLUS
Festool Jigsaw PS 300 EQ
Festool CT22 Vacuum
Black & Decker Jig Saw
Skil Circular Saw
Black and Decker Cordless drill
Makita Corded Drill
Paslode Nail gun
Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig
Tormek Sharpening System and accessories
Turbinaire 1235 HVLP Sprayer

Plus hand tools, clamps workbench, etc..

I intend to get a Cyclone Dust Collector (hopefully a dust gorilla) at some point.

I need to build a wall in the garage. I will put a door in the wall with an AC opening above the door and thus will only open the garage door on nice days or to get suppies in and projects out. After installing the electrical wiring, I intend to cover all the walls with wood and attach cabinets using cleats. I have some cabinets I already made, but will be building the rest on site. Since floor space is limited I intend to use the full heigh of the walls for storage.

I will have a before shot next week, when we move-in. Of course the weather is forecast as 91+ F for next week:crybaby2:

Once again thanks for the welcome. I am thinking of joining the TWA. I read the July news letter and my wife said go for it.

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Thanks for the welcome

Hi Doug,

What's your opinion of the performax 16-32 sander? one is on my shopping list at the next klinspor show unless someone has used one for sale.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I like it a lot. It takes some getting used to as far as applying the sand paper and I highly recommend reading the manual COMPLETELY before using it. I got mine from a woodworker in VA who barely used it. He was selling his tools due to Parkinsons. I was sad for him, but he was happy to see it go to someone who would use and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors