Hello from a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolly1

New User
Alan
I would like to introduce myself to all. My name is Alan Brackett. I live in Brown Summit, NC. I have just been doing wood work for about two years.
I like working on the lathe and scroll saw.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Alan, welcome aboard. I am sure you will find everyone here extremely friendly with a wide variety of experience and knowledge. We hope that you will become an active member and contribute to the posts. What sort of woodworking projects do you do? When you get a chance be sure to go to the "Other Links" button on the main menu and request a photo album be set up for you. You will find out shortly that we love to share photos and look at other folks work around here.

D L

rolly1

New User
Alan
Thanks DL. I like working on the lathe turning bowls and pepper mills. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome aboard. I should warn you that there are several of us newbie turners so you may get a lot of questions. Enjoy yourself and please do share photos.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, it's great to have you with us. Post some pics, I'd love to see your work. Dave:)

fivestring

New User
Gary
Is your shop bigger than 12x12 ? :?:

Aw, guess it doesn't matter..... everyone's shop is bigger than mine. :BangHead: :crybaby2:

Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to share in the knowledge.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hey Alan, welcome to the site! I'm one of those newbie turners Cathy spoke of. Let me do my best to get you hooked on turning pens! Be sure you pop over to the member map and place your dot on the member map!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Alan,

My shop is 1/2 of a 2 car garage! Still have fun, but need to move a lot around and clean up after every session. Oh Well! Welcome aboard and I am sure that you will have fun with all of these folks! They are a hoot! Just be aware that they all seem to have a lot of dough to spend on tools and they would be very hard to keep up with! (Must be a disease!?):-D

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Canuk said:
They are a hoot! Just be aware that they all seem to have a lot of dough to spend on tools and they would be very hard to keep up with! (Must be a disease!?):-D

Wayne

Dough? who needs Dough? The nice folks at Visa and MC keep sending me these neat little plastic cards. As soon as I completely rub the numbers off of one card I just move on to the next one.:lol:

D L

rolly1

New User
Alan
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have posted some pictures of my work in the photo gallery in rolly1 album.:bbiggrin:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Alan that is some fine work. How do you shape the bow handles, and do you do the lamination work? Thanks for posting your pics I am always amazed at the talent of the members here.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Alan, great work.:icon_thum Those are some sharp looking bows. I really like the finish you have on all of your turned items. Did you make the blade for the knife also?

For those of you that have not looked, make sure you pop into Alan's album to see his fine craftsmanship.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dang Allen, nice work. I hadn't even thought about a bow. What resources did you use for design or were they your own? I've been a gun hunter thus far but always wanted to get into bow as well. As a former baseball player, I can also appreciate your rollyville slugger. Good to have you aboard.

rolly1

New User
Alan
I rough shape the handles using a template and a router. I finish working it with wood rasp, spindle sander, and sandpaper. I do the laminations with a form clamped together and I use a section of fire hose to inflate and add pressure. I place everything into a oven I made from plywood lined with aluminum foil. I use six 150 watt bulbs to get the temperature up to 180 degrees and a thermostat and timer to hold it there for 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors