Hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Bumped into this place the other day, found good reading and alot of good
info(something I need alot of). Soon to retire from my state job(couple of years), to young to stop working, and have alway liked messin with wood.
I did some studying on it, went to Texas, and brought me back a sawmill.
Now I have lots to do.
Glad I found this site. I read alot, but don't say much. thanks for having me...
Ivey

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Ivey, it's great to have you with us. Are you just gonna tease us with the idea that you have a mill or will expound on it so we all can be jealous. Are you mobile, can you kiln dry, will you be my friend :-D :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few sawyers around here, I am sure that they will be dropping by to offer their welcome when they hear of a new sawyer in the ranks.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
A hearty welcome from an ex-state employee :icon_thum
We won't require you to say much . . . but we sure would like to see pixs of sawmill and woodworking. We definitely enjoy pixs :mrgreen:

Roger

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Ivey. Glad to have a sawyer join up -- we have several members with sawmills, but I believe you're the first from the SE part of the state. If you're interested in sawing for others, post your info on the NC Sawyers page under Region 4. We love pictures, so post some of your new mill and whatever other projects you're working on. I'm retired from the federal government and know how much more fun life is after working all those years.

Rob

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Thanks everyone for the welcome, am going to try to post a picture of my mill. thanks again I think I'm going to like it here!
Ivey

Attachments

• goats 002.jpg
    goats 002.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 130
J

jeff...

Alright another Sawmill dude :icon_thum. Welcome to ncwoodworker.net

M

McRabbet

That's a mighty nice looking Logmaster mill -- which model and what's the saw's capacity? Sweet looking machine!

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
welcome Ivey! Jumped right in with the pictures! I think you may have the largest shop pet so far.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome Ivey, you're going to enjoy the folks here and hope you'll post some more pics of that good looking monster.

Dan C.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Thanks everyone for the welcome, am going to try to post a picture of my mill. thanks again I think I'm going to like it here!
Ivey
Kind of a new member here myself but I do want to wish 'Welcome'
Good folks here with lots of woodworking advice and plenty of talent, just check out the gallery!
Boy I wish you were a little closer to me, I've got a few logs that need milling. Nice set up, have always thought of getting a small mill myself.
Have a Good One,
Smitty:icon_thum

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Thanks again all,
I am new at operating a band sawmill- things are going good-stright lumber. The mill is very nice, Its a LogMaster LM4. 50hp cummins -saws logs that are 36" dia.(if stright), and 24' long. It will go through a log pretty fast with a sharp blade. I sharpen, and set my own blades. I hope to have a dry kiln later, one thing at a time.:drunken_s

I got this mill for a retirement job, after I leave public service. My thoughts were to saw logs for other people, and have been doin that.
I am learning the art of sawing lumber . The hard thing to get a handle on is the other end like; what to saw, where to get logs, how much to pay, how much to sell for, how thick,how wide. Trying to be fair to me, and the customer,
It's good to know these things, but I'm learnin:eusa_doh:

If any of you are ever in my area, give me a call, stop by, get some saw dust on ya. Might even give you something to take home, make something purdy.

Thanks, Ivey
Beaver Branch
Saw Mill

M

McRabbet

Ivey,

I'd suggest you send private messages to Jeff..., Kyle, The Woodbutcher, scsmith42 and wkeull who are all sawyers for some log pricing and the other questions you posed... they should be able to give you some insight.

You'll probably get some interest from several members in the East/Southeast of NC for products -- good luck.

Rob

J

jeff...

Yep feel free to give me a holler any time, my number is in the NCSawyers page under Mills Custom Sawing.

So glad to have another saw mill dude on the site, lumber is where it all starts.

I'll tell you a little story. Folks around town, know I have a saw mill, so it's not uncommon to get phone calls and folks stopping by wanting to give me logs or have them sawed. One day last week a arbborist guy pulls up, he tells me I got two walnut logs for you. So I go out and look at them, at first glance, from a distance, I'm thinking yeah nice, they were bigger than the average bear, there's a good 500 ~ 600 BF in those logs. Then he said how much you give me for them? I looked a little closer and happened to notice something black hanging off one of the logs, so I went to inspect. Yep sure enough barbed wire, then upon closer inspection of both logs I found nails, garden hose, more wire and what appeared to look like the end of a horse shoe. I thought to myself what a shame. And replied, you wanting to give me these logs? His face turning a little red, He said no I want to sell them to you. I said not to me you aren't, what do I want them for? He said you got a saw mill don't you? I said yep, I sure do and would have really liked these logs if they didn't come out of someones yard full of trash. I said I'll take them off your hands and give them away for fire wood, his face started to turn a little redder and he said well if you don't buy them I'll roll them down the side of a hill. I said their your logs man, do whatever you want with them, but I would suggest at least giving them to someone for firewood. His face turned even redder and he got in his truck and drove off.

Moral of the story is if your going to saw wood to sell, yard logs are a crapshoot at best
they are usually full of trash and I don't know any wood worker that would want trash in their lumber. You didn't hear me say all yard tree are junk, I didn't say that. I've got lucky a time or two and got some real nice lumber from yard trees. But almost all of the the time they come off the mill and go to be made into firewood.

It's hard I know, but network and try and get a relationship with a small logging outfit that you can trust. Then you'll know your getting logs that come from the woods and not someone's yard, you'll pay market price but you can be confident your selling a good product...

keep in mind the best metal detector in the world will not pick up rocks, hose, glass, plastic, etc... and you know what that can do to your bands. You'll be amazed what your going to find in logs, I'm waiting for the day when I hit a $20.00 gold piece.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS