Have you thought about using Bamboo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon all,
I have been using mostly hard and soft woods grown here in the good ole US of A for the majority of my woodworking life, thus far. I sprinkle in a few exotics like Brazilian Cherry, Purpleheart and Maca(though this one is getting darn near impossible to get my hands on...) now and again.
I thought it would be good to try something a bit different in the way of woods to work with, especially one that is so renewable and "green"....
I have been reading that Bamboo is really beginning to catch on, not just for flooring, but plywood and lumber as well. I have spent a good amount of time reading and researching to see what is in use, what is available and what the cost is...
I have come to the conclusion that like most new and "hip" items, the price for this is just astronomical ($150.00 minimum for a 3/4",4'x8' plywood sheet)!!. Flooring, stair treads and risers are pretty much in the same "out there" ballpark. As a matter of fact, I only came across 1 or 2 places that say they carry "bamboo lumber", which is actually laminated bamboo strips with an epoxy process to hold it and the fillers together....
I would be interested in hearing from ya'll, what your thoughts are, experience if any with it and interest in using it....
Thanks,
Regards,
Tony ...

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Tony,

I was watching one of the HGTV home renovations shows about a month ago and they were using bamboo plywood for kit cabs and they quoted the price per sheet at around $240.00. So your quote of $150.00 appears to be a bargain!!!

Dan C.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Oops, I meant to type $250.00 instead of $150.00...
Waiting for the day the computer types what you want to type, not what you do type...

Tony ...

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Of course it's expensive - didn't you see Dave O's post? Babmboo is not a tree. You're buying grass, mon - that's why it's so expensive...

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
One of my cohorts did a kitchen in bamboo last fall. It was a SMALL kitchen! Only about ten grand for the job. Personally I wasn't impressed.

goodmund

New User
goodmund
I thought about trying to use bamboo plywood, or "plyboo", a few years ago to build some furniture, perhaps a coffee table or something, but couldn't locate any. Like the entire green movement, I'm sure the demand will grow and it will be easier to find. Perhaps the price will come down too, like when VCR's first came out and were around $1000.

Maybe it's just me, but most of the photos I've seen of cabinets and furniture made with the stuff have a slightly oriental look to them, which may or may not be what you're after. I've been in homes that have bamboo flooring and they're beautiful.

Let us know if you decide to try some and how it works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS