Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Found this while surfing
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pinnaclegallery.com

Mike Phillips
Phillips creates unique lathe-turned decorative vessels from alabaster stone and wood, ranging from 3 to 22 inches in diameter. Thin vessel walls, integrated materials and smooth, flowing surfaces are a testament to his highly developed skills and artistic design. The alabaster he uses is from Utah, Colorado and Italy and ranges in color from white, orange and green to gray or black. It may be opaque or translucent and is often beautifully banded with contrasting minerals. The woods he uses are from all over the world, especially Hawaii. Phillips’ turned vessels are shown in select art galleries in seven western states and in the prestigious Smithsonian Institution’s Renwick Gallery in Washington, DC.

(We know the title at the top says "Wood" and alabaster is stone, but Phillips turns stone as if it were wood . . . but with advanced techniques and tools.)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I turned a pen out it once. Turns just fine, scrapers work the best. Sands well but quite dusty. The only problem I had with it was the internal flaws that caused the final pen to crumble when pressed together :BangHead:

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I turned a pen out it once. Turns just fine, scrapers work the best. Sands well but quite dusty. The only problem I had with it was the internal flaws that caused the final pen to crumble when pressed together :BangHead: Dave:)

Dave that said do you think that it would be a good material for bottle stoppers - how would the thread hold up? I know that I can put epoxy in it to hold it after the turning but how do you think the threads will hold up while turning it on the mandrel?

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
This is a good opportunity to confirm or debunk what I have been told about turning Alabaster. I have heard that you end up with an abrasive talc-like dust all over your shop and lathe. Is this true? If it is, despite how pretty the finished product is I don't think it would be worth the mess.:wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave that said do you think that it would be a good material for bottle stoppers - how would the thread hold up? I know that I can put epoxy in it to hold it after the turning but how do you think the threads will hold up while turning it on the mandrel?

Phillip I really don't know the answer to that. It is a very soft stone.

This is a good opportunity to confirm or debunk what I have been told about turning Alabaster. I have heard that you end up with an abrasive talc-like dust all over your shop and lathe. Is this true? If it is, despite how pretty the finished product is I don't think it would be worth the mess.:wsmile:

Barbara, yes what is left from turning or sanding is a talc like dust. But it does clean up easily and if turned with a good dust collection system running it can be pretty mess free. The end results can be very spectacular, and it is fun to tell someone that this is made of stone.

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
From what I have seen on the net - the people turning this stone puts sheets - towels etc over stuff and behind the lathe - I assume they are doing this to keep the dust off everything

lonehunter

New User
Jeff

I'm no expert on the subject, but what I read I got the feeling it was very brittle stuff. I wonder how it would last if dropped?

LOL,One way to find out!

Jeff

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I'm no expert on the subject, but what I read I got the feeling it was very brittle stuff. I wonder how it would last if dropped? LOL,One way to find out! Jeff

Yea from what I have read I think that I am going to scratch the bottle stopper idea - If I ever try it I might try a vase or might even try a [STRIKE]bowl[/STRIKE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors