Harvey vs ? Bandsaw purchase

Mathoosala

New User
Matt
Hey,
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a bandsaw and I've got my eye on the Harvey 615 Alpha ( non-TiN coated). Any reason I'm unaware of why I shouldn't and should go with a Laguna or Grizzly instead aside from obvious cost savings? I believe I read that Harvey for years has been making tools for other companies and is more lately stepping out with their own lines. Any input would be appreciated!

Echd

C
User
My understanding was that Harvey makes most if not all of the Laguna BS line.

I do like my 1412 (although it sounds like you want heavier duty) although I'm not sold 100% on ceramic guides.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I was looking at Rikon, Laguna and such. I have been looking over the Harvey as well. Since they make it for others they must be pretty good. Looking at the specifics you really get a lot for the money. With their two lines you should have something for everyone's needs. I have already taken the plunge on their tablesaw and getting ready to pull the trigger on the bandsaw. There are some members here that have their products.

Bill J

Bill
User
I've had my Harvey Ambassador 14 inch bandsaw for a few months and love it. Easy to set up out of the box. It needed a new blade, the 3/4 that comes with it is pretty rough, but otherwise has been great.

smurg

New User
Marty
The Laguna guides are their own, Harvey uses hand-tightened bearings.

I was eyeing either the Laguna 14|BX or the C14 and ended up with the C14. I think either would work fine. Harvey has 1/2 more hp, 2" more resaw, but the blade break is a little shitter from what I've read.

The one annoying part for the Harvey is their pricing ping-pongs constantly. I swear it changes on a daily basis. Looks like it's at a normal 'floor' price at $1700 but if you miss that, it may take a week before it's back down. They have high shipping versus a higher base price on 14|BX with lower shipping; ends up almost the same it looks like.

Bill J

Bill
User
The pricing is a good point. They do flash sales constantly and have a limited number of units at a great price. If you're considering buying from then it's worth getting their emails or checking the website daily.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I went w/ the Laguna 14bx late last year, and am very satisfied there. I looked at the Harvey as well, and would’ve been happy there I’m sure, but again the pricing jumps turned me off a bit, (gimmicky “today only” email sales that last for a week and will be back in a month). Shipping for the Harvey bandsaws seemed to be around $350 or so if I recall, which really closed the gap between it and the Laguna, w/ the Laguna guides getting the nod from me in the end for the small ultimate price difference.

all of the above was pre-steel inflation pricing however, and I haven’t re-priced, so the price point gap may have widened a bit since, so YMMV.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I actually got a grizzly thru home depot. With free shipping and 10% military discount I scored pretty good. Didn't even know he depo sold grizzly. I like my G0555lx blade that came with it sucked but it's a good saw

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The brake on the C-14 is not as perfect as a $1000 racing bicycle disk, but it works just fine.
I liked the guide adjustments on the Harvey and the perimeter facing rear guides. It was tough between the heftier Laguna and Rikon. All three fine tools. In a perfect world, we would have interchangeable guide blocks of some standard format to swap around as needed.

Only thing I have learned from my C-14 is if I had the space, I would go for a 20. I don't so happy as can be. I sure would not let a few bucks price difference be the deciding factor. All three of these should outlast us, so get the right one for you. Only down to any is the folks who had issues with the Laguna guides slipping, yet many have no issue at all.

If you are not too far away and want to take a look at a C-14, let me know.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have had the C-14 and the 615 TiN since mid 2019. Our 615 was a pre-production model, so the guides were improved on the production models (and the name was changed...). I have been impressed with both saws. They are no Tannewitz or Yates American, but they are in line with everything on the market today. They share the frame and many other components with several of the big name brand saws (remember, Harvey makes most of them). The brake on both are not as smooth as some others, but it is there, it works, and I am happy with it. As for the ball bearing guides, they are good. They take the usual amount of adjustment, but once set, they are solid. Also, the current production models of both saws feature the anodized aluminum guide housings which are nice. Compare the price (even with the ups and downs) and the Harvey saws are hard to argue with.

Mathoosala

New User
Matt
Thanks for the input everyone. I've ordered the Harvey. I was told it would ship in 8-10 days but their site says they have a longer lead time. We'll see what happens. Now I'm off to research best blades for resaw, etc.

smurg

New User
Marty
Laguna Resaw King is a good carbide blade but pricey. I started off with a 3/4" Woodslicer to get a hang of resawing without as much out of pocket if I screw something up.

I'd stick to 3/4" for resawing even though they state it can handle 1" blades (from my reading on threads). There isn't much improvement and I didn't want to try and max out the tension scale. I have read a number of problems people have with resaw king blades cracking outside of the weld in random gullets.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The lower Ambassador line is mostly clones of products they build OEM. Alpha seems to be their put together of best practice.

I did not think I needed a BS until I got a real one. I probably make half my cuts on it now. Biggest safety mod to my table saw ever!
I would not hesitate. Of course the Laguna and Rikon higher end and Fidler are worth a look.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In the Launa, it was the BX. The Rikon was the 353. Of course, in either you could jump to an 18. I did not understand the relationship to band width and wheel. So I stick with 1/2 bands. Harvey has yet to do an 18. Don't know much about Hammer/Felder but never heard a bad word.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I have a Laguna 14-Twelve and would not recommend it. Table needed resurfacing to true up and the ceramic guides are a pain to adjust after changing blades - 3 minute blade change and 20 minutes fooling around with the guides.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Laguna Resaw King is a good carbide blade but pricey. I started off with a 3/4" Woodslicer to get a hang of resawing without as much out of pocket if I screw something up.

I'd stick to 3/4" for resawing even though they state it can handle 1" blades (from my reading on threads). There isn't much improvement and I didn't want to try and max out the tension scale. I have read a number of problems people have with resaw king blades cracking outside of the weld in random gullets.
My Resaw King 145 in came with my HD16 Laguna many years ago. Light use, but pleased to find getting it resharpened by Laguna was about $40 including shipping, and the blade should last through 4 or 5 more sharpenings. Pricey up front, but might be good value long term. Certainly performs well.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Rikon - 10-347
Why?....
Better warranty AND REAL support from Rikon.
4hp motor. 18" ( they do have a 14'' saw of course....) Loads of features.
While Laguna sells some nice saws ( made by others...) Their customer support is spotty at best. Google it. The Rikon line offers as good a feature set, BETTER pricing - BETTER support, BETTER warranty - and the quality of build is on-par with Laguna.

teesquare

T
Senior User
RIKON does occasionally have sales. Not sure of when...but I have seen them. One tip tho: If you find an online seller with a great price - bring it to the attention of the Klingspor store closest to you. They typically will match that price.

I can attend attest to the build quality being great on the bigger Rikons. The specs say 16 amps. That is on 220V. I have never found that I wished for a smaller saw. Even if the need for a large saw is occasional.....the extra power and mass ( 498 pounds ) is welcome in what ever you choose to cut.

Hope this helps!
T

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS