Harpsichord Project Part 24 - The Case is Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

In Part 23 we finished the bench and marbled the side panels. Now we’ll protect the marbling with some poly, paper the rest of the case, and call this part of the project finished.

First, the stand is finished with almond paint, gold bands, and papers. The paper strips were printed when we decorated the bench so it’s just a matter of cutting them to size and gluing them on. Here’s the finished stand.

MARBLECONT-1.JPG

MARBLECONT-2.JPG

At this stage, the marbling is quite rough to the touch. It feels like wood after the grain has been raised with water – only more severe. We’ll protect and smooth it with several coats of spray on polyurethane, sanding between coats. The sanding procedure is somewhat counter-intuitive in that we’ll sand through the grits, by hand, in reverse order. The last thing we want to do is cut through the poly and scratch the marbling. It will leave marks that can never be successfully repaired. So we start by spraying a light coat of gloss poly followed by another coat 1 hour later. When it dries, we’ll sand it lightly and carefully with 1500 grit wet/dry paper – dry. Then the process is repeated, this time sanding with 1000 grit. Then 800 grit followed by 600 grit - wet. The idea is to sand more aggressively as the finish gets thicker. After the final sanding we’ll spray on a coat of satin poly and leave it unsanded. And finally, we get to remove the blue masking tape and the protective plastic covering the inside of the instrument. Here is a photo of the finished marbling (well, almost finished)

MARBLECONT-3.JPG

We still need to add gold bands on the top and bottom edges of the marbling. Since this requires masking tape on the marble, we’ll wait a few days. Even though I use safe-release tape for masking, it’s not worth the risk of the tape pulling up some poly or marbling. Better to wait a couple of days – just to be safe.

While we’re waiting, we’ll take care of papering the inside of the case and the keywell. The next photo shows the 3 different sizes of papers we’ve used so far. The strip on the top is the one we’ll use on the inside of the case. Beneath that is the one we used on the bench and stand. The large one on the bottom is what we will use in the keyboard area. We will use another, much larger size on the lid.

MARBLECONT-4.JPG

Using the computer to generate these papers makes it possible to size the paper to the dimensions of the case. Commercially available papers come in one size for each application so the fit and pattern is rarely precise. To me, it doesn’t make sense to settle for less than a perfect fit when the technology is available to get it right.

Fitting the papers is like hanging wallpaper (something that I’ve never done). Measure twice – cut once. I always print about 30% more paper than I need to allow for matching the patterns. The paper strips we’re using are 24” long so we’ll need many of them to cover the inside perimeter of the case. Careful, square cuts and good measurements are all that is needed for a nice, clean job. Starting at a corner, we glue in one strip at a time until we’ve gone all around the case.

MARBLECONT-5.JPG

MARBLECONT-6.JPG

MARBLECONT-7.JPG

After finishing the case we paper the keywell – same procedure, bigger paper. With that, the case is done. Now, back to the marbling. All that remains is to add the gold bands above and below the marbling. More blue tape!

MARBLECONT-8.JPG

After the paint has dried (4 coats), the tape is removed and the marbling is finished. Here’s what it looks like.

MARBLECONT-9.JPG

It’s been quite a while since the various parts of the instrument have been together. This is a good time to take stock of the entire project to this date. Here’s some photos.

MARBLECONT-10.JPG

MARBLECONT-11.JPG

MARBLECONT-12.JPG

So what’s left to do? We have to build a lid, decorate the soundboard, put the strings on, install and regulate the jacks, and enjoy playing it. Next time, I’ll start on the lid while Sandy starts to paint the soundboard. Actually, I get to put some paint on the soundboard too. I’ve already mentioned my complete and utter uselessness when it comes to painting, but there is something that has to be done before Sandy can start her decorating. If you think you know what the word “boring” means, I guarantee that I will re-define that word for you.

Thanks for looking! The end is near.

Till next time,
Ernie

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,

You continue to amaze. This technique of printing the "papers" is simply astounding insofar as the final result. How did they do this back in the 18th and 19th centuries? Did they paint directly on the harpsichord, or did they hand paint or print in some way on paper and then apply it as you have done?

Matt

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:swoon::swoon: Ernie you do some great work:eusa_clap:eusa_clap thanks for sharing this with us

M

McRabbet

Superb work by a skilled craftsman. It just is amazing to see this beautiful instrument evolve step by step. Thanks for sharing this detailed process with us; it is truly impressive! :eusa_clap

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Ernie, it is really coming together quite well. It must be very comforting to know that something as beautiful as that, created with your own hands, will be probably be enjoyed for generations after you are long gone (but, because of your instruments, not forgotten). This is the same feeling that any of us who are fortunate enough to have the skill to create heirloom pieces experience. You are also putting Chocowinity on the map. I can see it now....in 100 years a sign at the town limits will read "Chocowinity, home of Ernest Miller, harpsichord craftsman extraordinaire". :icon_thum

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your too kind comments.

You continue to amaze. This technique of printing the "papers" is simply astounding insofar as the final result. How did they do this back in the 18th and 19th centuries? Did they paint directly on the harpsichord, or did they hand paint or print in some way on paper and then apply it as you have done?

Matt
Matt

While I believe these patterns were originally hand painted, it would have been extremely expensive and reserved only for the wealthiest patrons. In any event, hand painting (if it was actually done) soon gave way to block printed papers. If you're interested in the process there's an excellent group of articles by Grant O'brian on his web-site (click here to read). He is the authority on Flemish instruments and he makes his own papers.

Ernie, it is really coming together quite well. It must be very comforting to know that something as beautiful as that, created with your own hands, will be probably be enjoyed for generations after you are long gone (but, because of your instruments, not forgotten). This is the same feeling that any of us who are fortunate enough to have the skill to create heirloom pieces experience. You are also putting Chocowinity on the map. I can see it now....in 100 years a sign at the town limits will read "Chocowinity, home of Ernest Miller, harpsichord craftsman extraordinaire". :icon_thum
Stuart,

I'm sure everyone on this site has experienced "that feeling". From the many posts I've read here at NCWW there is a common thread: folks take pride in their work and are always looking to improve. How fortunate we all are that we can produce something with our own hands that will be useful and appreciated outside of our own little world. After all these years I still get a thrill out of looking at a finished instrument and saying "I can't believe I built that!" Many years ago, a neighbor asked me why I built harpsichords when I could buy one ready made. He will never understand what members of this site know all too well.

Thanks again to all,
Ernie

Glennbear

Glenn
Absolutely fascinating Ernie. What type of printer yields the 24" long strips you use ? :wsmile:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thank you, Glenn. I'm glad you're enjoying these threads.
I use an Epson Stylus Color 1160 (inkjet). It can print sizes up to 13" x 44".

Ernie

gritz

New User
Robert
Thanks for the apprenticeship exposure Earnie. We are really enjoying seeing your work.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Once again Ernie, beautiful work. Just beautiful. This has been a very enjoyable thread for me. I can't remember if you said if this one will be going to a new home, but I'm curious if it's hard for you to see them "go out the door" after all that work.

Tom

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Once again Ernie, beautiful work. Just beautiful. This has been a very enjoyable thread for me. I can't remember if you said if this one will be going to a new home, but I'm curious if it's hard for you to see them "go out the door" after all that work.

Tom
Thanks Tom, it's been enjoyable for me too. It is hard to see them go out the door (at least until the check clears). In all seriousness, I think it's a lot like folks who build model train layouts. The real fun is in the building. Once the layout is done, they often dismantle them and start another. Same with me. I usually get a little time with them before they leave - and that's enough. Last year I finished an instrument and had it for only 3 days before it was gone. That instrument I missed because I didn't get enough time to enjoy it.

I'll have the one we're building now at least until June because it will be played in a solo concert on June 7th here in Chocowinity. After that ..... who knows.

Thanks again for your interest.
Ernie

Last edited:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Again, excellent as always. Do you already have the next order? Is there a waiting list?
Thanks Bryan. As for what comes next ..... I don't know. I have a couple of commissions pending but in this economic climate I imagine getting a new harpsichord might not be a priority. In general, I don't like, or look for, commissions. I prefer to build what strikes my fancy at the moment and send the instrument to the Harpsichord Clearing House in Boston for sale.

Thanks again for following these threads.
Ernie

T

toolferone

I am running out of words to say how much I am enjoying all this.

I don't remember if this has been posted or not, but how much does the main body weigh and are you moving it around youreslf?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I don't remember if this has been posted or not, but how much does the main body weigh and are you moving it around youreslf? __________________
Tom

Tom,

Yes, I move it around the shop quite easily. I'm not certain of the weight of the case but I would guess it's something close to 60 lbs. While that may seem light, there are harpsichords, mainly from the Italian school, that weigh in at about 35 lbs.

Ernie

jstraw

New User
John
Just found this thread, and what a coincidence. I played my first harpsichord last Thursday in the cabinet shop in Colonial Williamsburg. Mack Headley was showing me the one they built, and convinced me to try it out. I looked it over and thought how I had no clue as to building one of them. It's real interesting to read back over all your posts, and see how it's done. Thanks for sharing, and outstanding work.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
OK, that's the first thing in this series that I DON'T like :eek:

The rest remains fascinating. __________________
Bas.

Bas - Funny, finishing is one of my favorite parts.:gar-La;

Just found this thread, and what a coincidence. I played my first harpsichord last Thursday in the cabinet shop in Colonial Williamsburg. Mack Headley was showing me the one they built, and convinced me to try it out. I looked it over and thought how I had no clue as to building one of them. It's real interesting to read back over all your posts, and see how it's done. Thanks for sharing, and outstanding work.

John,

Glad you enjoyed my posts. I've never been to Williamsburg. Sounds like a place I need to visit real soon.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS