Handles for Nicholson Rasps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I just received my Nicholson #49 & #50 rasps from Jamestown Distributors. I also ordered wooden handles with metal ferrules for each rasp.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you properly install the handle onto the tang of the rasp? Do you drive the rasp in with a plastic mallet or let inertia do the job like setting the head on an axe?

Thanks for any advice. I don't want to spit the handles even though they have long metal ferrules.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I just placed the tip of the file on a piece of soft wood and tapped the handle down on the tang. You will find that you may have to repeat this in time especially if you have a holder which lets the file hang by the handle. I have had mine come loose after putting them in the holder and found them on the floor. You don't have to really smack them, they will seat with moderate tapping with a hammer.

Mike

4yanks

New User
Willie
Ditto on what Michael said. Alternatively you can hold the rasp in a gloved hand, slip the handle on and tap the end of the handle on a bench while holding the rasp.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have seen some folks on videos push the file in the handle, then twist the handle until it "locks" the file in place. As if it were threaded.

I have tried it, it works just fine.

Can't say its any better.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS