Handle for a pressure cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
My grandmother has a very old pressure cooker that has the handles broken off of them. She asked me to make her a new set out of wood for replacements. I have the 2 halves of one of the handles. My first thought was that wood wouldn't really do well as handles for the pressure cooker. My second thought was why didn't she get a new one, but I didn't dare ask her cause this was her mother's cooker, that belonged to her mother's mother. Well.. something like that, it has sentimental value to her. Been in her family for a very long time. I thought about glueing it together, but I still only have 1 handle, and need 2. (the other cracked to many pieces and was thrown out)

I don't think it would be too hard to make. I'd probally use a template bit and my router. My question to everyone is....

Will the handle split and crack in no time flat when it's subjected to the heat of the pressure cooker?

Here's the pictures of the handle I have:

handle1.JPG

handle2.JPG

handle3.JPG

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I made a set of handles for a pot that belonged to my mother. She used it to cook chicken and pastry. After she passed away my wife used it for the same thing. I made the handles out of sassafras and they are holding up just fine after 5+ years.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, make them, it's your Grandmother, and if they crack she won't be any worse off then she is now, but you will have made her happy.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
OMG Dave.. that is EXACTALLY I thought, after I thought about it.. umm.. did that make sense?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
clowman said:
OMG Dave.. that is EXACTALLY I thought, after I thought about it.. umm.. did that make sense?

Great minds think alike, some just a little slower than others :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Those handles are probably Bakelite and they tend to break with age. I bought a WOK years age and the handles are oak, so I used oak to replace the handles on my BBQ a couple of years back.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Finally, I have these handles done. One more question. Mike.. when you say:

Be sure to soak it in mineral oil to keep the wash water out.

Is that a literal "Soaking" as in.. submerged.. and for how long? Any other finish needed as a topcoat?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Clay,

I have used ipe for my gas grill handles and it is doing fine after a year or so.

I'd just treat the cooker handles like a cutting board...apply a heavy coat with a rag, let it soak in overnight, then wipe off the excess. More oil can be applied periodically to keep it treated.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS