Hand saw skills workshop

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would like to do the hand saw skills workshop again.
When Saturday March 30 at 10am until early afternoon
Where Bill Clemmons Shop in Liberty
Lunch, we will order pizza and its usually around $7.00 each
Number of students 6
Cost is a donation to the site, I would recommend $50.00 if you can.

This workshop will cover the use of several hand saws, for breaking down stock to cutting joinery.
We will discuss what had saws you need for your woodworking, the types of saws nd their uses.
I know that most folks will be more interested in the use of their different back saws and feel we can start with drills to help you start your cut easier. How to cut to the line. How to diagnose what is happening while using the saw, ie when to blame the saw or the sawyer.
I feel these drills help make a better sawyer out of everyone.
So if you are interested please sign up we will have some fun and learn from one another.

Things you will need to bring with you will be a marking knife, marking gauge, a square, a few joinery saws if you have them, ie dovetail saw, carcass saw, tenon saw, a couple chisels say 1/4” and 1”. I will have several saws with me for folks to try.
I personally use western style hand saws and I know a lot you use Japanese style saws, so if you have them bring them and we will apply the same drills to them as well. I have used both styles of saws successfully and the same principles apply to these saws in use.
I look forward to seeing everyone and having some fun sharing and helping folks to improve their sawing skills.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please put me down for a slot (provided I am in town that week!)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're headed to NC any chance you can detour by here for a Pony Express...?
Could do, but it will likely be along with this class... the week of the 25th...

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok it seems the interest for this workshop is weak. This is to help folks improve their skills with a hand saw for breaking down stock, finish cuts and joinery, ie tenons, dovetails. If you are interested please chime in the workshop date and time are in the first post.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok it seems the interest for this workshop is weak. This is to help folks improve their skills with a hand saw for breaking down stock, finish cuts and joinery, ie tenons, dovetails. If you are interested please chime in the workshop date and time are in the first post.
Consider me "reading challanged" I was thinking this was the restoration / sharpening class - I need that one first before I take this one! LOL

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Please add me to the list. I’ve been trying to muddle my way through for years and my skills are still poor. I’m mostly a Japanese pull saw person but have dovetail saws in both styles and will plan to bring both. Thanks for doing this Graywolf!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
yes please. need to learn to sharpen first.
Don’t you need to dull that saw first? Doesn’t that take use? 🤣
listen why not follow through with understanding building skills now and then when we set a date for the restoration workshop you’ll be good to go.

Fishinmike

Mike
Corporate Member
Don’t you need to dull that saw first? Doesn’t that take use? 🤣
listen why not follow through with understanding building skills now and then when we set a date for the restoration workshop you’ll be good to go.
That sounds good . I can bring some saws to try, just don't know if they will be sharp enough!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors