Hand Plane Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Can any of you hand plane experts tell me anything about this plane. Stamped in the wood is Marples and on one of the metal parts is Stanley made in England. I purchased it in England, near RAF Fairford AFB at a flea market in 1997. I brought it back home to Germany in my suitcase. I guess these days with the higher security, I would probably get locked up for doing that.

Attachments

• plane-1.JPG
    plane-1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 307
  • plane-2.jpg
    plane-2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 302
  • plane-3.jpg
    plane-3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 326

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmmm, must be the infamous "ol yeller" :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what the "planesmen" say, I certainly haven't seen one that color 8-O

Sapwood

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Of the millions of planes I've seen, I've never seen one of those. Marples is one of the good Sheffield tool makers, so it's probably fairly good quality. The style and shape are very unusual in that it looks like a cross between a transitional plane and a razee style wood body plane. It looks like a beech body, and of course has adjustment features of Bailey style planes. It's odd how they made the thing by sandwiching the center of the body between the sides, kinda reminds you an in infill type plane that the English are famous for. Notice it doesn't have a front knob. That's an unusual one and in good shape. It would probably make a nice jack size plane if you're into using transitional style planes.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That one certainly is interesting looking. I guess the rounded toe serves as the front handle for it. Randy gave far more info on it then I possibly could.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Don't know much about woodies... er, wooden planes, that is. I actually found someone who has the same plane, though... Aaron Heck (amheck on Woodnet). Here is the pic from his web site... he called it an "unidentified marples woody":

Anyway, it may be worth sending him a pm - he may know more about the plane.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Roger,
That is the Stanley 45 combination plane and is used to cut molding, McRabbets and dadoes. Stanley introduced the plane in the 1880's and continued to make it until the 1950's. Depending on the year/model, the plane came with 21-24 cutters, extra short rods, several different depth stops, a screwdriver, and the older ones came in a nifty finger joint wooden box. A variety of special cutters and plane bottoms were also available from Stanley. Nice examples of the 45 are very collectible particularly when they have the cutters, misc. gadgets and especially the box. They also a very useful plane in the shop if you know how to use them. For some operations they are faster to set up and use than a router or shaper, plus you have a lot more control over the cut. That particular plane in the ebay auction was made around 1900 and is in pretty sad shape. The rosewood is gone off the fence, a lot of the plating is missing, a lot of rust, plus none of the cutters or misc parts are present. That plane is probably worth $20 - $30. It would be very difficult (impossible?)to restore to collectible status, but could be resurrected to make a pretty good user. $125 that the seller is asking is totally out of consideration.
My Best
Randy

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Great information Randy, Thanks. I kinda figured it was out there just looking at the plane. Sounds like a fun one to use. Ill keep my eyes out for a nicer one at a fair price. Thanks again, its straight foreward answers like that that keep me coming back to this site.

Roger

Monty

New User
Monty
Roger, whenever I see a plane I'm not sure of on ebay (particularly a complex one like the combination planes), my first source of info is Patrick's Blood & Gore. If you have not seen this site before, you should spend some time checking it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS