Hammock Stand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Anyone ever made one? SWMBO has been asking for one for quite some time (since Christmas of 2014, IIRC), and I am finally getting around to at least looking into it. Seems I could anchor two 4x4 posts in the ground, and call it a day. Obviously, that has the main drawback of not being able to be moved around. Plus side, it would be the cheapest route.

On the other hand, I kind of want to make something nice. Her birthday is in a few months, August, so this could be a nice gift. I stumbled upon this style, and they seem fairly popular, I am just wondering how realistic it is to make my own. Seems like it would be pretty straightforward, a few bent laminations, bolted together. Obviously on a pretty large scale. I haven't done any bent lam stuff in the past, so not sure if this is too much to start?

How thin does each layer need to be to bend around the form? What wood types work best for bending (along with being outdoors)? Steaming is for bending the wood as a whole, not when laminating, correct? I have plenty more questions, and research to do, but I figured I would at least start here.

Thanks for any and all advice. Seems simple, yet intimidating all in one.

Attachments

• 41VD88bx-9L._SX425_.jpg
    41VD88bx-9L._SX425_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 325
  • hammock-stand-close_1024x1024.jpeg
    hammock-stand-close_1024x1024.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 158
  • sar-2-cypress-hammock-stand-xx.jpg
    sar-2-cypress-hammock-stand-xx.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
  • kwila-hammock-stand---curved_1024x1024.jpg
    kwila-hammock-stand---curved_1024x1024.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have any info for you, Mike, but this will be a very interesting thread to watch.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Plant them now!

I wish it were that simple...

Alternatively, I found this example on another WW site. Looks pretty straightforward to make, nothing really "special" about its construction. Might be an option, instead. This variety could probably be made with dimensional lumber.

Attachments

• 577769-438x.jpg
    577769-438x.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 577777-438x.jpg
    577777-438x.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 577745-438x.jpg
    577745-438x.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 312

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The arch bentwood one looks much stronger and attractive than the angled one. What is preventing to from going with the original?

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
The arch bentwood one looks much stronger and attractive than the angled one. What is preventing to from going with the original?

Nothing yet. Just very much in the beginning stages of research and planning. So just exploring the options. I do agree, though, I like the arch one much better.

My questions at the moment are:
A) What wood will bend well, along with being good outdoors? Cypress? Cedar?
B) How thin will I need to mill the lamination strips, and how thick should the end result be (or how many strips need laminated) for strength?
C) How would I go about cleaning up the edges of the laminations?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nothing yet. Just very much in the beginning stages of research and planning. So just exploring the options. I do agree, though, I like the arch one much better.

My questions at the moment are:
A) What wood will bend well, along with being good outdoors? Cypress? Cedar?
B) How thin will I need to mill the lamination strips, and how thick should the end result be (or how many strips need laminated) for strength?
C) How would I go about cleaning up the edges of the laminations?
Could you go with green Cypress Heartwood and TBIII?.) Fresh sawn lumber off the log is quite flexible. I mean when you steam it your just getting the wood fibers wet again anyways so what's the difference? Fresh off the log, steaming or submerging in the pod - wet is wet... Maybe try green piece of 3/8" thick and see how that works... That's a pretty big radius would not surprise me if 1/2" thick would work just fine.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Seems like it would be pretty straightforward, a few bent laminations, bolted together. Obviously on a pretty large scale. I haven't done any bent lam stuff in the past, so not sure if this is too much to start?

In theory it's simple, make a bunch of strips and glue them together around a form. If you have enough room for a big form, enough clamps, (or design the form so you can use wedges), and maybe some help; no reason you can't do it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've done some bent lamination, looks like you can do all the parts for that stand with one form. 3/8" to 1/2" thick should bend well in that length and radius. I would use white oak for it's bendability and resistance to rot for outdoor use.

Make the form with a sheet of 3/4 plywood and 2x4 pine. Cut kerfs across the 2x4 every two inches about 3/4 of the way through so it will bend, draw the radius on the plywood, drill and screw the kerfed 2x4 to the plywood on the line. Probably need two layers of the kerfed 2x4 to be strong enough to hold the lamination.

Looks like you'll need 5 pieces of 8 feet each. Cut one into for the feet of the stand.

I count 6 laminations in what looks like 3 inch thickness, so 1/2 inch seems about right. Cut on band saw and plane to thickness. The lamination can be run through a planer to clean up the edges.

5 times 6 is 30 pieces of 1/2" by 3" by 8'

EDIT:
I watched the video and the blocks he used would work for this, just be sure they are screwed securely to the plywood. He glued all the pieces at once, I usually do 2-3 at a time. The jointer probably works better for cleaning up the edges, I don't have one. Not sure you can get the sides parallel with only a jointer.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You can buy a very stout metal frame from Hatteras Hammocks that breaks down into 3 pieces for easy portability and storage. Move it wherever you want around the yard and hang one of their hammocks on it. Ours is about 26 years old and we move it wherever in the yard with the breezes and shade (the hammock per se is also wide enough to accommodate both of us and we have a couple of "walking sticks" to push back and forth so we rock a bit as well).

http://hatterashammocks.com/detail.php?id=L-STBKTX

However, the laminated frame idea is pretty interesting from a woodworking perspective. A big circle of sorts, from which the laminated pieces are cut and they all have the correct radius.

General dimensions are +/-about here.

http://hatterashammocks.com/detail.php?id=SAR

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
The first photos in the post look like the hammock stands from Hatteras Hammocks in Greenville. I rescued some of these blanks from the dumpster behind their old location over 10 years ago. They were laminated from 5/8 to 3/4 inch thick plies, which would be feasible on an industrial level. But not so much on a hobby woodworker level. Ever try to bend 3/4" pine?

Thinner plies in the 3/8" range might be possible, and if you go that route, please inform us of the results. In the meantime, the second idea with solid timbers may be your best route.

Good luck and watch those fingers.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
While I do agree that the bent lamination is beautiful, the other could be built with bolts to be disassembled and stored for winter.

ste6168

New User
Mike
While I do agree that the bent lamination is beautiful, the other could be built with bolts to be disassembled and stored for winter.

Berta, the bent am variety is also attached at two points with lags, so it can be disassembled and stored. I single lamination would certainly be cool, however I think impractical for this purpose due to the storage issue you brought up.

To all others who have contributed thus far, THANKS! For both the help, and the encouragement. I think I am going to try it. I have a pretty busy week this week (was on vacation last week), but am going to try and squeeze in some time and actually try to figure out the measurements and such. Also, plan to watch a few more YouTube videos on bent laminations. I liked the idea of the blocks that the "samurai" showed.

White oak was brought up. Does white oak sound like a better idea than cypress? The "Hatteras Hammock" variety is made of cypress. Jeff linked to their spec page, which will certainly be a good starting point for the dimension guidelines. This project is still a bit out, so I will not have any project pictures tomorrow, but am planning to get started in the coming weeks.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Also, just found this video. Not sure who this guy is, but he certainly makes it look easy.

[video=youtube;ypWWzsfM0Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypWWzsfM0Vw[/video]

thsb

New User
Tim
good video. seems like it will only take only a little under 13 minutes to do the whole thing!

very interested in seeing how this turns out if you decide to pursue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS