H/f Lathe....$199

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I know there is some intrest in harbor freight's lathe. I stopped on Capital Blvd and they were marked $199:eusa_danc from $279. I saw one on display / don't know how many they have ....it was quite busy.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
They run this price every now and then and is about as low as I've seen it. Put a 20% coupon on top of that and you've got a steal!

Brett Sundlof

New User
Brett
Hey
just went to HF on Capital and of course the lathe is not in stock, I did get a rain check and are honoring the 20% off coupon complimants of DaveO.

I need to call on Thursday as that's when their delivery truck comes. Hopefully bbe turning be x-mas...

Does anybody know of any good deals on bowl gouges and scrapers, and how about chucks???

Thanks
Brett Sundlof:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Does anybody know of any good deals on bowl gouges and scrapers, and how about chucks???

Thanks
Brett Sundlof:)

Try the HF lathe tool set to get you some of the basic tools. PSI carries Benjamin's Best turning tools and they are a good value for you bowl gouge and scrapers. Also Pinnacle makes some good value tools. For a chuck you can't beat the PSI Barracuda 2, it comes complete with several jaw sets, and is a clone of the Oneway Talon. Again a good value for what you get.

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Try the HF lathe tool set to get you some of the basic tools. PSI carries Benjamin's Best turning tools and they are a good value for you bowl gouge and scrapers. Also Pinnacle makes some good value tools. For a chuck you can't beat the PSI Barracuda 2, it comes complete with several jaw sets, and is a clone of the Oneway Talon. Again a good value for what you get.

I was about to ask about chucks; so the Barracuda 2 is a good chuck? the price seems right for sure. Any other 20%HF coupons out there somebody is not using:eusa_pray

DavidF

New User
David
Just a thought - how small does the HF lathe break down to? I.E would the whole thing fit into the back of a Subaru Imprezza?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Just a thought - how small does the HF lathe break down to? I.E would the whole thing fit into the back of a Subaru Imprezza?

IIRC the box is about 12"x12"x5'. That's 12 inches by 12 inches by 5 feet if the quotes don't work....:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was about to ask about chucks; so the Barracuda 2 is a good chuck? the price seems right for sure.

Well it's not as high quality as the Oneway Talon it imitates, but the quality isn't bad at all. My Oneway cost around $200 for the body itself and a set of #2 jaws. The rest of the jaws are in the $30-40 range for each set. I got the Barracuda 2 on special at Amazon for $150 and it came with all 3 sets of jaws, plus a set of Jumbo jaws for reverse chucking.
The Jumbo (Cole) jaws for the Oneway are around $90 8-O

DavidF

New User
David
Well it's not as high quality as the Oneway Talon it imitates, but the quality isn't bad at all. My Oneway cost around $200 for the body itself and a set of #2 jaws. The rest of the jaws are in the $30-40 range for each set. I got the Barracuda 2 on special at Amazon for $150 and it came with all 3 sets of jaws, plus a set of Jumbo jaws for reverse chucking.
The Jumbo (Cole) jaws for the Oneway are around $90 8-O

That's a good price for sure; I see PSI is $169.95. I am going to call the Raleigh HF this week and check on the lathe price, the web still says $269.00

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I am going to call the Raleigh HF this week and check on the lathe price, the web still says $269.00

David, I received the HF sale flyer in the mail today. 34706 lathe is on sale for $199 until 12/26!
The flyer has a 15% off coupon on the back. If they refuse Dave's 20% coupon, let me know and I"ll mail you the 15%...
Good luck,

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

David,

I think that I would on your way to HF. I have a wee Chevy S10 that I am sure would accommodate the HF lathe. Let me know, and I would gladly give you a hand in transporting it to Pittsboro for ya!!!

Good luck on getting the sale price and coupon!

Just PM me if you need my assistance!

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
David,

I think that I would on your way to HF. I have a wee Chevy S10 that I am sure would accommodate the HF lathe. Let me know, and I would gladly give you a hand in transporting it to Pittsboro for ya!!!

Good luck on getting the sale price and coupon!

Just PM me if you need my assistance!

Wayne

Thanks a bunch for the offer Wayne! I "might" be on my way to HF this Saturday with DaveO's original coupon, hopefully they will go for that, if not I'll take PappyJ up on the 15% offer. As the max between centres of the lathe is 33 1/2" I'm guessing that if I take it all out of the box in the car park I can get it in the Imprezza, It can't be over 4' total. Hopefully its not too heavy for myself and Carol to manhandle. I'll get the turning tools at the same time.

I see from the Woodcraft email flyer that they are having a sale on a couple of chucks as well - any one got any comments or should I just go with the Barracuda 2?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5766&refcode=75IN12RL

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5199&refcode=75IN12RL

Will these fit the HF lathe? The lathe seems to have a 1" 8 tpi thread what what I can gather from the manual. With a 10% discount they seem good value too.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
As the max between centres of the lathe is 33 1/2" I'm guessing that if I take it all out of the box in the car park I can get it in the Imprezza, It can't be over 4' total. Hopefully its not too heavy for myself and Carol to manhandle.

Just measured mine. The longest part is 52 1/2" long (head/rails). Hope that will fit!
As long as you order/buy the 1"x8tpi or #2 Morse taper accessories, they will fit.
LOML and I have moved/lifted mine several times. Just make sure she gets the heavy end :)!
Good luck,

DavidF

New User
David
Just measured mine. The longest part is 52 1/2" long (head/rails). Hope that will fit!
As long as you order/buy the 1"x8tpi or #2 Morse taper accessories, they will fit.
LOML and I have moved/lifted mine several times. Just make sure she gets the heavy end :)!
Good luck,

Thanks Randy, Carol is measuring her car as we speak!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Good luck,

That's funny. While I was in the shop earlier, I measured mine. My bed was 58¼" long.

George

gator

George
Corporate Member
That's funny. While I was in the shop earlier, I measured mine. My bed was 58¼" long.

George

OOPS!!! :oops::oops::oops::drunken_s:drunken_s:drunken_s Red Face!!!

Mines been together so long that I forgot, the left end extension is a 7" bolt on.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS